GOOD AS NEW

Everything freezes and I whip my head in his direction. He's flying through the air towards me with his bow and arrow pointed at something. I'm tackled to the ground moments later, with Samuel on top of me. And Sebastian lands beside us. When I look between them, I see Malachi fighting either a guy or girl with long dark hair and pale skin. But the oddest thing is, whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have a face. And it moves like a snake.

"What is that?" I ask.

"A messenger," Sebastian rolls back onto his shoulders and launches himself back to his feet.

"Is she after me?"

"Yes," Samuel helps me to my feet. Placing himself between me and the messenger. But he doesn't look very well. His complexion is suddenly pale and there are black veins forming on his face that weren't there before.

"Sam, are you okay?" I ask. Touching his face.

It's ice cold.

Sebastian pulls from under Samuel who isn't moving or responding now. And I can see why. There's an arrow sticking out of his back.

"Samuel!" I shout. Worried. Bending down, I go to pull the arrow out of his back when Sebastian stops, me.

"Score us some permission slips and we'll take her back to our place," Sebastian instructs Liz. She disappears into the school building, and Malachi come over to help. Grabbing Sam by his collar and dragging him out of the cafeteria.

"Help me get him to his car," he barks at Sebastian.

Sebastian pushes me behind him. Protecting Malachi and Sam while I run alongside them. Once Sam is strapped into the backseat of his car, I'm shoved in beside him. And I race to put my seatbelt on before Sebastian peels out of the parking lot. He's driving so fast I'm clenching both the door and my seat. Bracing myself for every turn.

I'm glad when we finally get to the boy's home and spring from the car as soon as it's in park. Rushing to get Sam inside, where Michael quickly rushes to help.

"What happened?" He asks.

"Messenger," Sebastian explains.

Judging by the lack of surprise, and the grave look on Michael's face, something tells me he's as much a part of whatever this is as Samuel and Sebastian. He springs into action, disappearing into one room, while I follow Sebastian, Malachi, an unconscious Samuel into another. Malachi places him on a table, removes his shirt, and straps him down.

"Pull it out," Michael instructs.

I watch on pins and needles as Malachi pulls the arrow out of Samuel's back.

It disintegrates as soon as it touches the ground...

I file that away that information away for later. Because Sam's life hangs in the balance and that takes precedence over everything.

Placing his hands over Sam's wounds, Michael tries to heal him, but Samuel looks like he's getting worse.

"It's not working!" Michael shouts.

Sinking deep in thought, Sebastian curses beneath his breath then grabs my hand. Forcing me to hold it over Samuel's wound. Closing his eyes, he begins to chant unintelligibly.

It feels like something is being pulled from me, and our hands start to glow. I gasp, snapping my head up to look at Sebastian. Only, nothing could prepare me for what I saw. His eyes are fixated on Sam and glowing a bright blue. Looking around the room, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and open mouth gape when I see my gray eyes illuminating a bright silver light. Instinctively, I try to pull away out of fear, but Sebastian's grip on my hand is ironclad.