MAGNETS

The first several entries of my father's next journal are boring. Then I find myself turning the pages quickly, as my father recalls his near-death experiences with 'the evil' as he calls it.

"Anything helpful in there?" Sebastian asks.

"You tell me," I shrug. "What does a reflection do? What's its purpose?"

"A reflection can be used for many things. It can be used as a window into the past, it can be a window to the soul, and it can be a window into the future. It all depends on who opens it."

"How would I open one?"

"Honesty works pretty well," Samuel interrupts. Coming over to join us.

Sebastian shifts in his seat to remove his arm that I hadn't noticed was resting behind my head.

"Ha. Ha. Very funny," I roll my eyes.

"To open a reflection, you simply take it into your hands, and state your intentions. Whether it be with your mind or your mouth."

"That's all there is to it?" I frown.

I thought there would be much more to it than that.

"Here, I'll show you," Samuel offers.

I watch as a circle of what looks like black smoke, no bigger than a quarter, appears out of nowhere. Hovering over his hand. It grows to about the size of a door, and then he grabs hold of it from the sides. Stretching and molding it into the shape he wants.

Grabbing my hand, Sebastian forces me to touch it. Only, I'm afraid. I don't know what touching it will do.

The three of us are engulfed in a bright light, and when it dissipates, we're no longer in my room at the girl's home. I don't know where we are. I've never been to this place before.

"Where are we?" I asked.

Suddenly, fear spread throughout my body. Across the street, getting out of his Chevy truck, is Michael and my six years old self.

"You were a cute kid," Samuel teases.

"If you go through a reflection, can you change certain things if you wanted to?"

"Yes, but that change sets in motion other changes. And sometimes not for the better." Sebastian warns.

After looking both ways, I race across the street thinking maybe if I can stop the reflection from taking Michael, he won't die. And Deborah won't have to give me up.

"Angel, no!" Sebastian shouts. Snatching me back onto the sidewalk. "Changing events that have already happened is forbidden."

"You mean to tell me I have the power to save someone's life right now, but I can't?" I scoff.

"Yes. That's exactly what I'm telling you. If you alter the past to save his life, it could be you who winds up dead instead. Need I remind you that he's about to attack you. If you spare his life... who knows what mother's daughter might go missing because of it. Michael is a predator, and the world is better off without him. Trust me."

I know Sebastian is right, but I want back the only mother I've ever known. The bright light shines again, and I try to break free from Sebastian's hold, but he has a tight grip on my wrist. Moments later, we're back in our room. And I'm upset.

"It's better off this way, Angel." Samuel assures me.

"His death is the reason I lost the only mother I've ever known," I sulk.