A LITTLE SPEED

The atmosphere at the girl's home is a bit sullen after the death of one of the students. And if there is one thing, I've learned from what happened that night, it's that I never want to come face to face with a messenger. It also made me want to learn everything I can to survive.

I practice harder, laser focused, which helped me pick up on things faster.

"You're getting better at controlling your abilities," Sebastian smiles.

"Yes. Thanks to your sister and her private lessons. Though it feels more like a beating than anything else," I tease. "Why didn't you ever tell me you have a sister?"

"It never came up," he shrugs.

"That's bull and you know it. I've borne my soul to you, Sebastian. A little reciprocity would be much appreciated."

Sebastian tosses me my father's journal and sits down on the sofa next to me. Rolling my eyes, I open it up and start reading it.

He is the King of avoiding conversations he doesn't want to have. And changing the subject is his way of saying he'd rather watch paint dry than to talk about his feelings or any subject he deems to sensitive to talk about.

Whatever...

Diving into my father's journal, I devour the pages as he speaks about Becka, and how much he wants to do right by her. But he was too in love with my mother to do it.

I wish I was lucky enough to find a love like that.

My gaze shifts to Sebastian sitting across from me. His black Led Zeppelin muscle shirt doing nothing to hide the ridged planes of his abs, the bulge of his biceps, and his broad shoulders.

Another of my father's journals rests on his lap. And he has his right foot resting on his left knee, with one arm stretched across the back of the sofa. It's unfair to the human population for him to be this hot. Like seriously... why dangle this forbidden fruit in the face of the female population knowing he's already been promised to someone else.

And it's not me...

Again.

Whatever...

Peeling my eyes away from Sebastian, I bring my focus back to my father's journal. And towards the end of one of the entries, he talks about a journal his father left him. The entry stops after that, and the only other thing written on that page is a set of numbers. Sitting up, I wonder why that set of numbers looks familiar.

"What is it?" Sebastian asks.

"These numbers... I've seen these numbers before, but I can't remember where," I tell him.

Leaning over to get a better look at the numbers, I can see his brain processing the information. These numbers look familiar to him too.

"We need to go back onto your father's property," he tells me. "Do you think you can get Becka to help us out again?"

"I don't know. I'll call her," I shrug.

Grabbing my cell phone, I call Becka who agrees to let us come back to the house to look around. Because now that there's no doubt her husband is my father, she seems more than interested in getting to know me.

"She said we could come by this Wednesday. Magdalene will be out of town again," I tell him.

"Good."

"Can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"What was she like?" I wondered.