BULLIED

"Can you move?" Anna asks with an attitude.

"Sure," I move out of her way.

Picking up the butter knife from the counter, I spread mayonnaise over my slices of bread to make a sandwich.

"I was going to use that," Anna glares at me.

"Use what?"

"That knife."

I hand her the knife, and she snatches it from my hands. I wait for her to use it so I can finish my sandwich, but she tosses it into the sink with the dirty dishes.

It's obvious Anna has it out for me, but I stifle my frustrations and grab another knife. I'm walking over to the drawer next to the sink when I hear a loud crash behind me. Turning around I find the plate of food I made all over the floor. Then I look up at Anna and she shrugs with a smug smile on her face.

"You know my mom really hates when people waste food like that. I suggest you pick it up and eat it instead of letting it go to waste," she tells me.

"I'm not eating food that's been on the floor."

"Suit yourself. But you're going to have to make something else because the lunch meat is all gone."

Laughing, Anna leaves the room.

She's starting to get underneath my skin.

Cleaning the mess up off the floor, I put it in the trash. Then I open the fridge looking for something else to eat, but the only thing left is food you must cook. And I don't know how to cook some of the stuff they have.

"What are you looking for?" Alex comes strolling into the kitchen.

"Something to eat," I answer.

"There isn't much unless you want to cook."

"Which would be awesome if I knew how to cook this stuff." I sulk.

"You don't know how to cook?" He asks. Surprised.

"I do. Just... none of this stuff."

"Tell me what you want, and I'll give you your first lesson in real southern cooking."

"Okay," I chuckle. Tapping my chin with my fingertips. "How about Mac and Cheese?"

"Easy."

Alex gives me step-by-step directions on how to make a bowl of Mac, but he makes me do all the work. It's so easy I almost feel stupid for needing his help.

"Where'd you learn how to cook?"

Alex grabs the box of Mac and hands it to me. Then he points to the directions and laughs.

"Great... now I really feel dumb," I laugh.

"Yeah, you're going to make some guy a horrible wife someday." He teases.

Alex walks by the trashcan and notices the sandwich I attempted to make.

"Did you do that?"

"I did, but not on purpose."

"My mom is going to flip. I'll do you a favor and just take the trash out," he offers.

"Thanks." I smile.

"Did any of your foster parents teach you anything?"

"I guess not."