SAFE

When I get home, I head up to my room to lay down on my bed. And I stare up at the ceiling, daydreaming about the way things used to be when I lived with Deborah. Feeling euphoric, I pick up the phone and call Deborah.

I just want to hear her voice.

Normally I'd hang up as soon as she answers, but I can't this time.

"Angelique is that you?" Deborah's voice calls through the phone. And an instant peace washed over me. Only to disappear the moment she spoke again. "I know it's you because I traced the number the last time you called. I hope you're doing well, but please don't call me anymore."

"Deb-"

She hangs up the phone and I wish I never called her. Because knowing she wants nothing to do with me hurts. And the more I think about it, the more tears fall from my eyes.

The next morning, I'm not feeling any better. So, I tell Aunt Sarah I'm not feeling well, and she lets me stay home from school. I'm not ready to go back and deal with the drama known as Sebastian and Samuel. But by the third day, I must go back to school.

Surprisingly, people were worried about me. And when everything freezes in place, I look around for Sebastian. Only, I can't find him. But I do find Samuel.

I open my mouth to ask if he's seen Sebastian when he literally drops from the sky in front of me. Only, more gracefully this time. His eyes search the parking lot like he's looking for something, and I wonder if he's looking for me. I get my answer a moment later when he spots me and quickly heads in my direction.

"Come with me," he grabs me by the wrist so hard my circulation is cut off.

I don't have time to respond.

Sebastian whispers something underneath his breath, kisses me on the forehead, and unable to keep my eyes open, I pass out right there in his arms.

I come to in what looks like a log cabin, and sluggishly scramble to my feet. Then I snoop around for a moment before realizing I'm alone.

A loud thudding noise from outside startles me and I hurry over to the window. There's a large crater in the ground, but there's no sign of Sebastian.

As my eyes adjust, I notice something dark falling from the sky that looks like soot. And remembering I was with Sebastian last, I panic. Hurrying outside to look for him. Only, before I can get too far, Sebastian and his friends walk up to me, looking like they'd just finished a thirty-mile marathon at high speed. They're covered in soot and Sebastian looks angry.

"What happened?" I asked. "Why am I here?"

Sebastian whispers something to his friends, who disperse, then he takes me back into the cabin.

"What's wrong?" I ask again. Worried.

"You were in danger," he explains.

"What? When?"

"When you got to school."

"But I didn't see anything," I frown.

"Of course, you didn't," he chuckles. "I put you to sleep for a reason."

"What about my family? Will they go after my family?"

"They're fine," he answers. "Isaac is watching them."

"I don't understand. Why would someone want to hurt me? Is it the same people who killed my dad?"

"Yes," he nods. "And now that we've found you, others will come. And their sole mission will be to stop us."