THE MESSENGER

Between reading my father's journal, perfecting my abilities, and spending time with both Sebastian and Samuel, I haven't gotten around to talking to my aunt about the girl's home. And I'm dreading it. Her and Uncle Cliff have done so much for me to make me feel comfortable and accepted here. Telling them I'll have to leave feels like a slap to the face I know they aren't expecting.

"So," Samuel smiles. "I was thinking after school maybe you could come over to the boy's home and we can do homework together."

"Homework... really? I don't believe you," I laugh.

"Okay, you win. I just want to spend time with you without your family watching us like a hawk."

Realizing he can't be with me all the time Sebastian gave up trying to keep me away from Sam and assigned him as my interim bodyguard. The two of them even had a long talk about something that turned heated. But they never came to blows.

"Okay, I'll be there."

"Cool, I'll see you at lunch," he smiles.

I head to class and Ms. Duvall is on her usual first period rant about punctuality because someone is always late. For a teacher, Ms. Duvall is pretty. With bright auburn hair, blue eyes, and she always wears the cutest of clothes. Her style is sort of Audrey Hepburn-ish. And it suits her frame very well.

"Okay class, partner up," she instructs.

Shifting my gaze to Sam, I'm wondering why he' partnered up with Malachi when Sebastian sits down beside me. He hasn't physically been to class in over a week. Yet, he somehow aced a test, a quiz, and never missed a single assignment. Which... impossible.

"Were you expecting someone else?" Sebastian asks. His focus on the assignment Ms. Duvall just placed on our desk.

"Well... yes. You've been M.I.A. all week. Where have you been?"

"Taking care of a few things."

"Like what?"

"Like your transfer to the girl's home." He meets my gaze. "Have you talked to your aunt and uncle about it?"

"Not yet," I sheepishly admit. "But I will."

Sebastian looks over at me then down at the assignment. He fills in all the answers and I push his hand away to stop him.

"What are you waiting on? You're running out of time, Angelique. And so am I."

"Okay, but you're not telling me what that means."

"It means whatever is hunting you is getting closer, and soon, we'll have to move you for your own safety. So, rip off the Band-Aid already and get it done," his tone leaves no room for argument.

"Spoken like the heartless and moody person you are," I roll my eyes.

"I'm not heartless. It's just... the longer I waste time babysitting you, the closer to peril the world becomes."

Narrowing my eyes at him, I don't know whether to slap him or knock his chair out from under him.

"So, I'm a baby to you now?"

"What? No. I didn't mean-"

Ignoring him, I raise my hand and wait for Ms. Duvall to call on me.

"Yes, miss Savant?" She asks.

"Can I be moved?" I ask.

"To a different class?"