Chapter 27 - Jettison

Ismail always took every opportunity he had to come back home. He loved staying in a room with his wives and grandmother. He also counted the two new comers and that made him ecstatic. In less than a year, he was going to be a father of two. He didn't know he loved the idea of having a huge family till Kameela bore his child.

In their almost daily routine of 'family hangout', Kameela was always the silent one. She seemed withdrawn from the conversation, the people. Ismail had noticed how she looked tired, had terrible mood swings. He knew the first trimester was usually hard but looking at Kameela made him scowl. But nonetheless, he pampered her in the comfort of her bedroom. He'd always put his hand over her belly and whisper jokes about who it'll look like.

Unknowingly to him, Kameela's face wasn't tired due to the stress that comes with the first trimester. It was because of his beloved grandmother. Gwaggo had been hell bent on making Kameela's stay in the house a hell ride. She forces her to do all sorts of chores she knew she wasn't supposed to do. Her days were full between her chores and trying to catch some sleep. But she kept mute. She didn't want to start another round of complaints about Gwaggo or cause Ismail to choose sides.

A blessed day, so to say, Ismail had left for work and Kameela used catering for him as an excuse to not go near Gwaggo's room. Immediately he left, she went straight to her room and fell asleep. All was well in wonderland until a sharp pain in her lower back sent chills throughout her body causing a sudden blackout in her dream. She woke up with subhanallah escaping her lips but unfortunately to her realization, the pain didn't belong in her dream.

The intensity of the pain kept increasing, moving from her lower back to her abdomen but all she could do was squirm in her bed and say silent prayers. Amidst the chunk full of pain, she heard Gwaggo yelling her name but she was in no condition to answer. All she could do was whimper in pain.

After yelling her name several times, Gwaggo sent Badawiyya to call her. The little girl ran straight to Kameela's door and knocked several times but heard nothing. She went back to tell Gwaggo what she encountered but she met the wrath of Zara and she zoomed off as fast as her little legs could carry her up the stairs.

She tried knocking again but heard nothing still. So she slowly and quietly entered the living room, her eyes searching the room. She was met with the chills of the AC and she immediately wished she could lay down on the soft carpet and sleep till she had had enough. She walked in stealthily, the cold tiles making her feet not settle on the floor completely. She knocked on Kameela's bedroom door but heard nothing but the humming of the AC. She tried one last time, this time placing her ear directly on the wooden door and this time she heard slight movements.

She entered the room, opening the door slowly with her eyes glued to the floor. The further she went into the room, the clearer the noise she heard from the door. She raised her head to find a curled up Kameela under the blanket, squirming around and sobbing. She rushed to her side and knelt down on the floor.

"Aunty! Aunty! Meya faru? (What happened?)"

"Baya na. (My back.)" She replied with the little she could muster. The girl was worried. Part of her was worried because she liked Kameela, she was always kind to her. The other part was worried because if Kameela was sick, all the work in the house was once again going to be all hers.

She left the room, leaving all the doors open, to go report the case to her superiors. She met them in the main living room, Gwaggo on one end of the couch with Zara at the other end with her long legs stretched out almost touching Gwaggo. They were both doing what they enjoyed the most, gossiping. Badawiyya didn't want to interrupt them. The last time she attempted that, her back and face received slaps. So she walked to the edge of the closest armchair from the staircase and knelt beside it. Zara's eyes landed on the girl.