Chapter 6 - The Sleepover

Kameela's P.O.V.

Manal's wedding day, I mean days, has finally approached starting from today. Today is the Kamu. Their house is full of relatives from far and near. The annoying ones, the quiet ones, the loud ones and the nosy ones. All shapes and sizes.

Me, Manal, Aisha, Amina, Safiyya and few of her cousins from her dad's side and also some of her school friends were in her room. Her room was full. It was almost time to go so she was doing her make up herself because she is very good at it and the event wasn't that major.

I was busy playing with BJ when my phone rang. It was my mum calling. I picked the call. Apparently she was here with my clothes. The tailor dropped it at the house earlier today and I've been in Manal's house since morning.

I excused myself and headed downstairs. On the staircase I met Ismail going up. He looked so bloody tired. The bags under his eyes were definitely not Gucci. His smile was upside down and not pretty at all. I was worried. He is always smiling no matter the situation.

"Ismo are you just coming from the hospital?" I asked stopping in front of him.

"Mhmm." He was looking down now. Maybe he has a headache, or maybe worse, a migraine.

"I'm coming to your room to bring you food. You have to eat before you sleep." I said as I stepped out of his way. I didn't want to keep him waiting. He nodded and kept on climbing the stairs. I ran down so I wouldn't keep my mum waiting.

I reached Aunty Khadijah's room that was downstairs and knocked on the door. I didn't hear any response but I figured one of them would've answer me. I entered the room with a salaam and I saw my mum with her sisters all cracking up on a joke one of them said.

I kind of slammed the door shut so they'd notice me, which they did. I greeted them one by one which is a task on its own cause they're 8 in number. Aunty Khadijah smiled a bit more extra. Why won't she be happy when she's getting her last born married.

My mum gave me the clothes and told me to try it on in Aunty Khadijah's bathroom. I did so and the clothes fitted me perfectly, just a bit itchy but nice. All of my aunties were ooing and ahhing and complimenting the tailor. Two of them actually asked my mum for his number.

"Kameela you've matured into a beautiful woman." Aunty Ghaji said. It's not everyday I get complimented by my aunties so I just smiled cause I didn't know what to do.

"I bet you can't even count all the men following you." The last born, Aunty Maryam said. My eyes widened and I looked at my mum to save me but it seemed she wasn't in the Mother Theresa mood.

"After Manal it's your turn." It took me a second to understand the code Aunty Yusrah used. Me? Marriage? Lol okay. All eyes were on me so I looked down at my dress.

"This one? Marriage? Chapp! This one that still runs around the house like she's 6." My mum commented which caused all my aunties to chuckle.

"Let my baby be. She'll get married when she wants to. Ko Kameela?" Aunty Khadijah to the rescue! I just nodded my head and walked briskly to the bathroom to change out of the clothes and to avoid any further interrogation.

After getting my clothes, I dropped them in Manal's wardrobe and I literally ran to the kitchen to get Ismail's food. On getting there, I was met with different types of food. That's what I like about weddings. Food. I carried a plate and I was about to serve Ismail but then I realised I didn't ask him what he wanted and I didn't know what he wants. I thought that I might as well take everything to him. So I took a piece of every food and the snacks too and I put them on a large tray.