Chapter 23 - Guest

"You're what?!?" Kameela yelled as she looked at her remorseless friend.

"I'm pregnant." She casually replied like she was saying what the weather was outside.

"With what?!" Kameela was a mixture of furious and confused.

"Obviously a baby. Can you calm down? I need your help with something."

"But how? When? Who?" Kameela ignored the last question deliberately. She was afraid it was something that went along the lines of 'more sinning'.

"Okay, I don't want you to freak out more than you are right now but I don't exactly know who."

"Oh my goodness Maimuna! I'm going to kill you first before your mum does it. How don't you know who? Since when did you become that promiscuous?" Maimuna scrunched up her face.

"How can you think I'm promiscuous? I'm still a virgin."

"What do you mean you're still a virgin? You just said you don't who the father is."

"Cause they were just names on a papers. Not exactly names, they were written in alphanumeric."

"Papers?!? Now I'm confused."

"You know, sperm donors are anonymous. So for easy identification, the alphanumeric characters are used."

"Sperm donor?!? Maimuna I don't know what to think right now." Kameela slumped down on a couch to process the whole situation. Maimuna kept silent as she observed her friend's every move.

"Okay let's take things slowly. Who?"

"I told you I don't know his name per say. But from his donor essay, I know he's of Mexican lineage so the baby's going to be mixed, he claims he's got a good sense of humour and can you believe what his message to the recipient was?" Maimuna looked at Kameela's face to see her reply but she got nothing but a neutral look so she went ahead.

"He said something in the lines of 'I was a great child and my parents said I was a huge blessing. I hope the same blessing can be possible for you and to enjoy.' So I know he's an adorable cutie who caused zero trouble for his parents." Kameela ears seemed to be buzzing.

"Okay good for you. Next question, when?"

"When I went to New York for that summit I was telling you about."

"So you're telling me you're almost a month pregnant?" Maimuna nodded her head enthusiastically. Kameela couldn't believe what was happening in front of her eyes.

"I don't know what to say again. What happened to that guy, the one that said he wanted to marry you?"

"Abdul, he's got engaged to a family friend of his family." Maimuna for the first time said sadly.

"My condolences but why? You're still young and very attractive. You could get a husband in a snap of a finger."

"Cause I really really wanted a baby and nobody is coming my way. And no I'm not young, I'm 32 for God's sake!"

"You know it's haram. It's equal to fornication." She got nothing from Maimuna.

"Okay see, I'm not trying to be negative or backwards but after you have the baby, how many guys do you think will want to marry you knowing you have an unknown man's child?"

"I don't care again. I've thought out everything." Kameela sighed deeply. If she had known that this was what Maimuna came to tell her, she wouldn't have opened the door for her.

"Does anyone know?"

"Me, you and then my best friend, Zakia."

"Not even your sisters?"