Chapter 16 - Revelation

As Kameela skimmed through the channels, finding nothing to watch, she decided to make cereal. Cereal to Kameela wasn't just breakfast, it was an any day, anytime snack. Firstly, she poured in her milk into her favourite bowl, a navy blue ceramic bowl that was slightly chipped at the tip due to her clumsiness, exposing the inner white. She then looked through the boxes of cereal that were lined up perfectly in one of the top cabinets to pick her choice before changing her mind. She closed the cabinet that contained the boxes and opened the one opposite it, bringing out golden morn and cerelac. With the number of tins of cerelac in the house, you would think it was a house of four wives each having insanely fat triplets, the ones that look like the Michelin tires man.

She placed the bowl of milk in the microwave to warm it up before mixing in the golden morn and cerelac. The mixture of those three was a potion that made her go right to sleep after if not during.

She went back to the living room and ate away while reading 'You Are a Badass' by Jen Sincero. After eating, she placed the bowl in the sink, filling it with water before making her way back to the living room to continue reading. From her sitting, crossed legged position, she changed to laying down on her side, using her palm to support her head. Before she knew it, her book had slipped to the floor, eyes closed, body limp, steady breathing pattern and heart beat rhythm in constant repeat.

She jerked up by the sound of the gate being opened. She sighed after realising she had fallen asleep and let the time for Maghreb pass her and Isha was in a few minutes. She stretched her arms backward before bending down to pick up her book. As she stood up, the front door opened and in walked a frowning Ismail. She stared at him as he passed her by and went upstairs, slamming his door after entering his room. She carefully walked to her room and shut the door slowly, trying to avoid making any sound. She dropped the book on her bed before walking to the bathroom to do her ablution.

She splayed her mat by her bedside and prayed. Upon ending her prayer, she sat with a dreary expression on her face, wondering where her marriage was heading to. She knew it was heading southwards but she wasn't ready to give up on it just yet.

She stood up, folded her Hijab and praying mat and walked to Ismail's room. She knocked on the door then entered the room when she heard nothing. She met him praying so she invited herself in and stood by the door, leaning on the wall and her arms behind her. She patiently waited for him while looking around the room and playing with her fingers. She was looking at the books on his table when she saw him stand from the mat. She waited to see his next move, whether he was going to remind her of her banishment and send her out or hug her and tell her he loves her and he was sorry. She knew it was far fetched but a girl can only dream.

He moved to his bed and laid down on it. She was suddenly discouraged. He had hardly looked her way since his mother passed away and she knew it was just out of courtesy cause he knew she was awfully close to her. She had turned the door knob to leave when she heard his voice.

"Switch off the lights on your way out." The sound of his cranky but still very thick and velvety voice made her return to her initial objective.

"Are we going to stay like this till thy kingdom come?" She stared at Ismail whose intertwined hands that were placed on his stomach moved to his face, covering his eyes and forehead. She waited for him but when he didn't utter a word, she spoke again.

"Aren't you going to ask me questions?" Tears had started to pool in her eyes, making the visuals of Ismail who had sighed and turned to his right side hard to see.

"Can you just look at me? Talk to me?" The tears made their way down her face. The feeling of her own tears against her skin made her feel hopeless.