Chapter 25 - The Verdict

Ismail hadn't been feeling too good with himself lately. He was down, wistful, confused. Ismail was never confused, he always knew what he felt. But this time, he wasn't too sure.

It had been 3 weeks since Kameela left the house and the house felt cold. He felt detached from the house, like he wasn't in it. He didn't realise it but they had drifted apart and he knew it was his fault. He was busy trying to mend one relationship while he was unconsciously destroying the other. They didn't talk as much but he always felt her presence. Her warmth wasn't close by but her scent still  lingered around the house.

Now, he had noticed how attached Zara was. At times, he would want to yell at her but he just couldn't. Especially when she touched him. Her hands! He didn't want to think about the mess she was. She has his child in her. He loved her. She was his first love and he had promised her she was going to be his wife.

But Kameela. She was Kameela. She was that talkative that'll go on and on on topics he didn't even know existed. She would advise him. She would hold him. He didn't know what he was doing anymore. He wasn't sure what he felt anymore. He was just going with the flow. Ismail was still in his thoughts when he felt those hands on his chest.

"I had been calling your name since I entered your room." He thought to himself, Kameela would've asked him what was wrong.

"Sorry. I didn't hear you." He looked at her and noticed the heavily beat face. Then the picture of Kameela's always nude make up face popped up. He loved that about her. He dispelled the thought immediately. He couldn't possibly be comparing them. Obviously she's better.

"When are we going? Because I have finished dressing up and I can't just sit around the house." Ismail looked at his watch to check the time. The time was coming closer and the more he thought about it, the more he dreaded the verdict.

|•|

"What am I seeing here?" Hajiya Fatima asked when she walked into her daughter's room.

"I'm guessing you are seeing me and my surrounding." Kameela rolled over to her other side so she could see her mother.

"I'll slap that smart mouth of yours." Kameela just smiled. She missed being bullied by her mother.

"Why aren't you dressed? We're going to be late." Kameela intentionally didn't take a bath. She knew her mother would leave her behind because she couldn't wait for Kameela to shower and dress up, her patience was thin.

"Because I haven't had a shower."

"You haven't what?!? Before I open my eyes, you better be inside that bathroom with soap on your body!" Kameela was still scared of her mother even though she knew she wouldn't lay her hands on her but she still couldn't risk it. Kameela scrambled to the bathroom and tried her best to take a 'quick' shower.

After what seemed to her to be her new record best of fastest shower and dress up time, she rushed to the living room to inform her parents she was ready. They all got into the car and drove to Aunty Yusra's house.

Kameela was thinking of ways to not make it to her aunt's house. She didn't want to be around when they discussed the future of her marriage. She didn't even like thinking about how bad her marriage had gotten in a space of 4 months. She just liked being at her father's house, eating her mother's food and listening to Bello and TaRasulu bicker. She wished Bappa Ali was still out of town so they'd have to postpone the meeting again.

Before she knew it, they were parked outside the house. She took all the time she could to come down from the car. They walked into the compound of the house with Kameela walking behind her parents. She could already hear the hustle and bustle of the family lunch already from the gate.