Chapter 31 - Cafes And Confessions

Giddy was the word to describe Ahmad that fine chilly evening. Him and Kameela agreed on going on a date that Saturday evening by 5. Okay not a date, she's married but a catch up which Kameela actually suggested to make things seem a bit less awkward after their little encounter on the road. It was after he got back to the office when he realized they didn't have any form of communication as he was still in awe when she walked off. No number, no socials. But he believed or at least hoped she was going to show up.

She picked a coffee shop nearby her house that had recently opened up. She liked the aesthetics of the shop and they had wonderful cinnamon rolls she loved. Luckily for her, Ummama had gone to Nigeria for some family thing she had been vague about. She wasn't keen on explaining to her who Ahmad was and their little story, at least not yet.

She adjusted her peach scarf that circled around her glistening face and threw it over her shoulder while looking into the mirror. Applied a coat of lipgloss and stared at herself.

"You're not going to be nervous. You're going to enjoy your time with Ahmad and enjoy your cinnamon rolls." She winked at herself and walked out.

She walked into the shop and surveyed it. She saw him at the inner corner. She walked up to him and a smile spread across his face like butter on warm toast as he stood.

"You look beautiful." The peach and brown combination looked breath taking on her and those lips?

'Astagfirullah' He whispered under his breathe and quickly looked to his feet.

"MashaAllah thank you." She wasn't a fan of compliments. It made her feel like she was being slightly scrutinized which made her feel uncomfortable but something about today or the person in front of her that made her own it. She entered the cubicle and sat down directly opposite him. The table between then was a bit narrow in such a way that Ahmad's legs were almost touching the maroon leather covered chair Kameela was on. To avoid touching her, he had to open his legs which had her legs between his.

"How was your day?" He inquired.

"Quite lazy. Didn't do anything but watch The Boys and make breakfast."

"You watch The Boys? I'm a fan. Who's your favou..." He got cut off when the waitress came up with the menus and placed it in front of them. Kameela immediately returned it, she already knew what she wanted.

"Cinnamon rolls and a cup of salted caramel coffee." She looked back at Ahmad.

"To balance it, sweet and salty. And my favourite character is either Frenchie or M.M."

"I'll have the tiramisu and a milk boba tea." Kameela sighed. She wanted to try the tiramisu too.

"Mine's Stan Edgar." They go on talking about the show till after the waitress came back. Kameela's plan was to avoid eye contact with the tiramisu. She'd comeback in the night and get it herself.

She was looking at her plate, unrolling a cinna roll to cut and bite into when she raised her head and was met with a spoon that had two layers of lady fingers and a layer of thick cream between them in her face. She looked up to Ahmad and he was staring at her. She glanced at his plate, it was the first scoop. She took the spoon from his hand and shoved it into the cavity that was her mouth. It was perfect. She was definitely coming back for more. She handed the spoon back to him and watched him scoop some and put it in his mouth.

"Technically, you just kissed me." She joked. She picked up her coffee then put her mouth around the straw. Her comment cut him off guard which made him look at her lips. Perfection.

They carried on with a hearty conversation, like they were friends just catching up. Like no elephant was in the room. When they were done, Kameela suggested they take the longer route to her house which he unhesitatingly agreed to. They walked slowly as if with each step they decelerated. Kameela was a sucker for tall men and Ahmad was one tall man. Him hovering over her made her feel nice and well, other things. He walked her right to their front door.