Chapter 4 - Wedding Plans

Kameela's P.O.V.

Aisha and Manal are supposed to come over today. Manal's wedding day has been fixed and she wants me and Aisha to help her plan it out. Well I mean, I'm known for being very organised and of course Manal loves me. I was my room working on a presentation I had the next day while drinking a cold cup of milk. I'm telling y'all that there is nothing I rather drink other than milk. The temperature of the milk depends on my mood. So there I was working my butt off when my mum comes into my room and just drops herself on the couch. I just keep on staring at my laptop screen till she said "You're always working. You never have time for me nowadays." Oh oh I definitely knew where this topic was heading to.

"Most of your age mates are getting married or are planning on getting married. Asma'u that is even younger than you is married. They are making time for their husbands. But here you are, always working and never even having time for your mother." She said shifting on the couch. I just know she must talk about this particular topic. Especially since we moved back it's been worse, all day everyday she must talk about it.

"Mama me working has nothing to do with whether I'm getting married now or later. If I'm supposed to be married now I will be. Mama patience." I said knowing that if I tell her I don't have time to 'court' anybody between work and lazing around, I won't hear the end of it.

"I'm not getting any younger I want to see my grandchildren." She said.

"But Khaleed can give you your first grandchild." I said defending myself.

"That your older brother isn't getting married anytime soon. You are getting married first."

Suddenly, I feel like my brother is lucky to have stayed behind. Now all the energy my mum has is concentrated on me. That has its pros and cons.

"Alright." That's all I could say. I just hope she isn't going to continue.

"Aren't Manal and Aisha coming today?" She said.

"Yes Mama."

"Then why are you still in your pyjamas?" She said. I could feel like she is intensely looking at me but I still didn't look at her.

"Because I haven't had a shower yet." Saying it in a matter-of-fact tone. I relax a bit and rest my back on the back of the chair.

"You should go and shower so you could look presentable." She said standing up.

"I don't want to see you here when I get back." She added as she opened the door to leave.

"Mhm." I answer. I gulp down the remaining milk left and I stood up, heading to my bed.

I laughed to myself thinking about looking 'presentable' as I sat on my bed.

God knows I don't care how I look in front of them. They are like the older sisters I never had even though Manal is just few months older than me. But for the sake of their noses, I'm going to head to the shower.

As I was in the middle of singing 3005 by the love of my life, Childish Gambino, I heard my room door open so I stopped singing. It could be my mum just so she could check if I've gotten into the shower, or Manal and Aisha. I was about to continue singing till I heard somebody banging the bathroom door.

"We are hereeeeee." I heard Manal sing.

"Give me a sec." I was kind of disappointed that I didn't get to finish the song and say the 'nigga you so thirsty' part with an attitude. I rinsed the lather from my body. Putting on the bath robe, I make my way out of the bathroom. I saw Manal at my immediate right going through my make up things on my dressing table and Aisha further away on my bed playing with Sadiq.