13. Family love is annoying and repetitive, like bad wallpaper

[ Copyrighted to MrsSociopath© ]

Kris had been seated on the sofa as she watched the Hopper children argue in front of her. Their mother, Tara Hopper had not long come home from her job and she had immediately rushed Kris in a bone crushing hug. Tara was happy to see her daughter had not lost the complete ability to make friends. 

Since that she had been in the kitchen and had started cooking food. The sweet aroma of chickens and gravy were drifting through the house like a melody. Kris could feel herself starting to drool. However, it was when Tara had asked for help with the cooking that the arguing had started. 

“No, no, no, paper beats rock!” Cas argued, the twins just stood there holding out their hands that were clenched into fists. They were looking at their older sister as if she had just grown another head in the room and told them everyone was getting them.  

“Don’t be ridiculous Darling,” Martin waved his sister off as if she were a fly. “Have you ever seen a rescue team save a group of people from a Rock Slide with a load of post it notes?” the eight year old refused to be wrong. 

“Of course you ain’t, Sugar,” Sienna answered for her older sister. “If shizzle went down like that there’d be a rise in god dammed post-it notes.” Cas glared at her siblings. 

“No, your aren’t going to twist the rules of another game.” 

“You’re just upset because you lost,” Martin said with a dramatic hand gesture. Kris noticed how the boy always expressed himself as if he were on stage in front of an entire audience in the New Theatre. “Don’t bring it if you cant swing it!”

“What does that even mean?!” Cas shouted in exasperation. Kris couldn’t help but find the sight of Cas being out Cas’d amusing, and by people not even half her size and less of her age. 

“It means you a sore looser!” Sienna accused. 

“Am not!” 

“Are too!” 

 "Am not!” 

“Are too!” 

“Whatever helps you sleep at night girl,” Sienna rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers. 

“The rules are: paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beats paper,” she explained through clenched teeth. 

“Oh,” the twins said together and looked down at their hands as if they were trying to figure out some untold secret. They looked up at Cas before changing their hand to scissors. “There, you loose!” 

“No, I didn’t that’s cheating!” Cas argued back. Her mind goes back to all the game she played with them when they were five and how she always changed the rules slightly to turns the game in her favour. They were to small to realise she had been cheating. 

However, the twins grew up, they were looking at her with Cheshire cat grins painted across their small petite innocent faces. Cas had lost. She could out argue everyone except the twins. She had trained them too well in the art of annoyance. She glared at the toxic duo. 

“No… I didn’t loose.” 

“Someone get your butt in this kitchen and help me before I deprive this house of anything Korean!” Tara shouted. Cas squeaked and Kris could swear she had never seen the girl move so fast in her life. She watched as the twins smirked and high-fived each other. They were sneaky, cyaniding little buggers. She liked them. 

Finally noticing that she had been left aloe with the Hopper twins she started to feel nervous. Both of them were openly staring at her. They were evaluating her with their identical dark blue eyes. Cas’s eyes were lighter. They had their arms crossed across their chests, their left hips jutting out and their heads tilted slightly to the right. They reminded her of a pair of Siamese cats that were trying to see into her soul.