8. Just Another Day with Friends

^Alexis^

      "I say we find new shelter first then we get your cousin!" Cameron yelled, his fist clenched together.

     Jasper stared hard into Cameron eyes, "He's just like us. On the run. A 'criminal'. Wouldn't you want to go if it was James?"

      "Don't you dare bring James into this! That night was your fault," He snarled pointing a finger at her.

     Mason slammed his fist down on the table, "That's enough! Both of you!" Jasper seemed to be at the brink of tears and Cameron paced back and forth, his fist clenching and unclenching.

     "That was uncalled for," I said staring at Cameron hard and then at Jasper. "And you-"

     "We aren't kids, Alex," He retorted, rolling his eyes.

     My hands went instantly to the table, "Then don't make me treat you like one!"

     Cameron threw up his hands, "Fine! Just tell me when we're leaving." He stomped off and around the corner.

     Mason looked at me but I waved him off, "He'll get over himself," I turned to look Jasper. "When did he call you?"

     She looked down at the phone, "An hour ago. The voice message said he was going to meet at the base."

     "Where's that?" Mason asked.

     "It's our secret place we used to meet up when we were small."

     I looked at Jasper, "How long do we have?"

     "Morning at most after that then he could be anywhere."

     "It's settled. At dusk we'll leave in search for him and a new place," I looked at Mason for the last part, who just gave a nervous laugh.

***

     Throwing my bag over my shoulders I turned to the others who were all ready. Patting down my leather jacket, I feel a box of matches and I'm ready. We head out the our makeshift door.

     Slipping the bookshelf out of the way I bend down pushing the large dumpster quietly. Creating a path that was big enough for everyone, I slipped through. The cool soon-to-be-summer air filled my nostrils as I took a deep breathe.

     The run down houses on the other side of the road gave an eerie look. Rats scurried in the ally munching on rotten food until their hearts content. The gang stood behind me waiting for Cameron before quietly pushing the dumpster in front the hole. Walking in the dark shadows, I stood with my back against the wall. Looking around the corner I motioned for the others to follow.

     We walked along the side staying close to buildings that we could use as cover but there's was nothing. No cars, no birds and no insects, nothing that could cover our footsteps. The towns park came into view as we rounded the corner.

      "Which way?" I whispered to Jasper.

     "Through the park and in the... play house," she replied, slowly saying the last part.

     I was partly glad she couldn't see my expression. "You can't be serious," Cameron said from the back.

     Looking at the park and then the road I jogged across. The bag on my shoulders hit against my back making the contents in my bag make noise. A fountain spitted water as the moon shined down at it. The play set was only a few feet away. From the large oak tree we were standing at and the play set there was no cover.

      "Cameron, you and Mason stay here and watch for any sign of movement. You know what to do," I said.

     "You really think his in some play house?" Cameron sighed.

     I nodded, trusting Jasper. He brushed his curly hair aside before motioning for Mason to follow him.

     Turning to look at Jasper I noticed she was gone. Looking around frantically I see her creeping towards the play area. "Jasper!" I hissed and followed her.

***

     She stood outside the small wooden playhouse. It's pink paint had faded away from all the years. The brown door was just half my size and the house itself looked like it couldn't only just barley two tweens. "I don't see how he can fit in there, Jasp."

     "You'd be surprised on how many places he can fit. He is the best at hide and seek," she whispered back.

     I bent down and opened the door. Sticking my head in I saw no one expect darkness. A looming shadow stood in front of me as a cold metal object was placed on my throat. The figure grabbed my arm forcing me out of the house. His black hair covered his blue eyes while he stared instantly at my face.

     "Tim!" Jasper pulled him into a massive bear hug, he returned the favor.

     Confusion pasted my face, "Whoa, hold on a second." Tim let go of Jasper embrace and she stared at me. "He almost tried to kill me."

     They both laughed and looked at each other. "Yeah with butter." He held up a butter knife as embarrassment filled my face.

     I touch my throat at the throbbing mark it left before turning away from them, "Whatever, you guys are losers." A whistle was heard from the distance and I turned around quickly, "We gotta move now!"