1. The Beginning

-Mason-

     I remember that first moment when I met Reese. She stood behind her father outside a coffee shop. Her father holding a black coffee cup in one hand and Reese in the other. When my mother and I arrived and she emerged from behind her father with a curious look on her face. I remember looking at her funny because of what she wore.

     A stripped sports team shirt with a black jacket. Poke a dotted ripped leggings that showed she spent time outside. Shoulder length brown hair that didn't look brushed and to top it off Monster truck rain boots.

     I looked up at my mother with a concerned look but she was to busy talking with the girl's father. Looking back at the girl, she had stood quiet not saying anything. Taking the moment I decided to ask her name.

     "I'm Mason. What's your name?" I asked. She opened her mouth but quickly closed it. Disappointed filled her face. Not understanding I shook my mother's arm. "Mommy, what's wrong with her? She looks sad. All I did was ask her name."

     "I'm afraid to say she can not talk. She lost her voice," her father said to me.

     "What do you mean lost? How come she can't find her voice?" I asked completely confused. When you lose something all you have to do is go and look for it. Can't she do the same?

     "I'm afraid that's not how it works. Reese got really sick and it made her voice stop working. So she can't talk anymore."

     "How will she talk now?"

     "Well there's this way you can talk with your hands-" my mother started.

     "But there's no mouth on my hands," I interrupted, saying the th with an f.

     "You'll understand later, sweetie," my mother patted my cheek. I stared at the strange girl who stared back at me with her dark brown eyes think how in the world will I ever become siblings with her.

     Which in fact I did because here she is cussing my me out angrily from my doorway. Her hands moving around so quickly I can barely understand what's she's saying.

     CANNOT BELIEVE YOU BASTARD. YOU TELL HIM. HIM COME AFTER ME.

     "Tristan not going to come after you, Reese's. Besides whatever you did probably wasn't that bad. So stop worrying," I continued to read my book, ignoring her.

     Suddenly my book is forced out of my hands and dangling in the air. "Reese give that back!" I tried to snatch it back but Reese walks back putting the book behind her.

     NO.

     "I know you don't like school but I do. Now give me my book!" She shook her head and hand. Her chin length hair got in her face and she brushed it back. "Reese."

     M.

     Angry consumed me and I got up. She took a step back before rushing out the room. Chasing her through the hallway and to the stairs.

     She stood at the bottom looking up as I looked down at her. She was small for a 16 year old, barely reaching five feet. From up here should looked even shorter.

     "I'll give you one last warning. Give. Me. The. Book." She stuck out her tongue and ran to the kitchen. Following her I bumped into her and we came crashing to the floor. "Hey?!"

     Seeing the book unattended I snatched it and standing up. "Now if you excuse me-" Weeping filled the kitchen and I went silent.

     My mother stood crying with my stepfather's arms wrapped around her. Reese still on the floor got up slowly taking a step back. I instantly drop the book to the floor, "Mom, what's wrong?"

     "Your Aunt Anne was taken by the police," my stepfather answered.

     "What! But Aunt Anne is the most nice's person I've met," I said shocked. Reese nodded her head in agreement. "What happened?"

     My mother wiped her tears away before grabbing my hands and looks me in the eyes. Her eyes are puffy from crying and her nose red, "Mutants."

     I burst out laughing but my mother tightened her grip on my hands. A serious expression passes over her face. "I'm serious, Mason. This is no joking matter."

     I looked over to see Reese's reaction to this crazy nonsense only to see she has the same expression as me, "And you tell us that we play too many video games. Are you sure you are feeling alright?"

     She grits her teeth in frustration before letting go of my hands. My mom walked past my stepfather and up the stairs. My stepfather glared at us before going to the living room.

     Looking at Reese she shrugs in response before following him. As I enter I fall onto the couch stretching out and turned to look at the T.V.

     Reese sat on my legs which caused me to jerk my legs back in pain. "Ow! You could have just asked!"

     "Could you two stopped fighting! This is important!" My stepfather yelled, glaring at both of us.

     The news was switched on and they were broadcasting a news alert. They were shooting it from a helicopter and it was focused around a house. It looked familiar until I realized it was my aunt's house.

     Reese's eyes widen letting me know she was seeing this too. The cops were dragging out my aunt but for some reason she looked different.

     People from her neighborhood were there and they looked afraid, confused and unsure. A different angle was shot and it seemed the air around me vanished.

     There stood my Aunt with two white cat ears on her head and a tail to match. They had some type of device around her hands and it seemed she was trying to break it.

     She slammed against the cops but one managed to tase her. She fell to the ground and the cops carried her away in a white van. Large letters read TSAC. A news agent started talking about what may have caused it but they weren't sure.

     I tried to pay attention but my mind wander. "I... don't know what to say," I finally said. My stepfather turned to look at me. "So it's just been happening to random people?"

    "Well, they aren't sure. Right now it's just been targeting adults," A worried look past his face.

     DO NOT CRY.

     My stepfather walked over hugging us, "I just don't want something to happen to you all." Reese tensed up next to me and my stepfather let go of us. "Sorry Reese." Reese shook it off but still gave a smile. She isn't a hugger. "You two should get ready for bed."

     I frowned before getting up, "Will you be home tomorrow?"

     "Depends. With all this crazy stuff happening, I'm not sure," He sighed then looked at Reese. "Just don't give Mom a hard time."

     FINE.