Epilogue

Epilogue:

*7 years Later*

Gemma’s POV:

I stood on the side lines watching the children run up and down the basketball court chasing after an orange ball. I smiled as the children started to scream and shout as one of their friends, or they, had scored a basket. I could see the happiness in their little faces as they had a group huddle, their little arms flying everywhere.  

Toothy grins been show all around as the game carried on. I looked down at the clipboard I had in my hand studying some plays that I had made for the young team to practise on.  I blew my whistle long and hard as the game came to a stop. Cheers grew around the court, echoing through the small arena. Parents clapped as the practise came to an end.

‘Huddle up kids!’ I yelled as I dropped my clipboard and whistle to the floor, giving a series of High fives all around.

‘You played great!’ I exaggerated as I crouched down to their height.

I got a chorus of “Thanks miss” or straight “Thank-you” as the children plonked their bums onto the floor, taking drinks for their water bottles.

‘Okay so you’re all doing great. Nathan your shots are coming spot on keep on practicing at home! If you can try and edge the distance away from the basket-hoop’ I said patting his back as he grinned happily.

‘Natalie you’re a great little defender. Remember to keep on your toes and stay strong’ I said giving her thumbs up.

‘Jack, Joe and Stacey try not to practise your dodging and holding your space and you should be spot on’ I said looking at the triplets.

‘Everyone else just keep practising what I have or Mr.Harrison has told you and you should be ready for your game Saturday night! Be at the arena at 3 ready for Kick off at 4’ I said starring at the fidgeting and uncomfortable. Note to self, repeat all this to the parents.

‘You’re free to go then rascals!’ I said as they jumped to their feet and ran off to their mum, dad or guardian. Left behind was Louisa.

‘Is Mummy running late again?’ I said to the 6 year old. She nodded as she stood up and walked over to me and took a seat on the bench next to me.

‘He won’t be long’ I said reassuringly and she nodded.

‘Auntie Gemma?’ she questioned. And I looked at her.

‘Yes sweetie?’  I said as I put my arm around her giving her a quick squeeze before wandering off and collecting loose basketballs around the court.

‘When-‘the little girl was cut off by my name being shouted.

‘GEMMA!’                          Amelia squealed as she ran towards me in the converse. We engulfed each other in hugs, trying to squeeze the life out of one another. Even though we saw each other 2 days ago when she once again was late to picking up Louisa from Basketball practice.

‘Late again…’ I paused adding up the amount of times she has been late on my fingers.

 ‘For the what? 9th million time maybe?’ I said giggling as she lightly punched me in the arm. I faked to be injured and Louisa ran over to my slapping Amelia’s upper thigh.

‘Don’t hurt Auntie Gemma!’ She said defending me and I couldn’t help but smile as I crouched down and brought Louisa into a bone crushing hug.

‘Lou why don’t you go and get your backpack and drinks bottle and we can get going out of Auntie Gemma’s way’ She said directing her directions towards the 6 year old.