Chapter 15

Next is floor. There is a guy with black-brown hair moving some mats around.

"Who's that?" I whisper to Mattee.

"That's Michael. But we call him Mike. And we call you Mike! That's funny." Mattee whispers back. "He's a great coach. I really like him."

He waves us over to him. "Okay girls, today we are working front tumbling." He then explains all of the stations, and sends us off. He calls me and Liv over at the last minute.

"Hello girls, I've heard that you're new. I'm Mike."

Liv and I share a look and giggle.

"What's so funny?" Mike says.

"Well, her name is Mckayla, and we call her Mike or Mickey for short. And your name is Mike, so we found it kinda funny. I'm Olivia, or Liv, by the way."

Mike laughs. "Ok then. Well, I've heard what you can do, so Mickey, work front double punch front. Liv, work the same thing."

"Ok!" We say. We go over to the built in pit. You know, the one that's built into the floor? I start with just the double full. I walk back to the starting spot just as Liv is finishing up her turn. I get ready to throw this one. I do a nice double full, but fall on my butt on the punch front. I look back towards Liv, and giggle.

"I know it's kind of squishy," Mike says. "So would you like us to put a mat in?"

"Sure!" Liv says.

He drags in a mat and sets it down. Liv takes her turn, and lands on her feet. She does stumble forward, but technically speaking, she made it. I do the same double, but make sure to stay nice and tight on my punch for the tuck. I flip a really nice tuck and stick the landing. I look over at Mike with my mouth wide open.

"Good job Mickey!" Mattee and Liv both say.

"Nice job!" Mike says, and gives me a high five.

We make like three more each. Mike then tells us to go start doing fronthandspring front double fulls with Mattee.

We watch as Mattee executes one flawlessly. She gives me a warm smile.

"Come on Mickey!" Mattee cheers.

I run, hurdle, do the fronthandspring, punch as hard as I can, and twist the double. I make it on my feet with two steps back.

"Good save Mike," Liv yells. I smile.

I think I like this new gym.