Chapter 13

They separate all of the girls into groups. Liv and I stand to the side, and watch as they are divided. Cliff calls Mattee, Liv, and I over.

"Okay girls. This is Mattee." Cliff says.

"Yeah they already met me." Mattee says.

"Oh! Even better. Mattee, you are going to lead them around today. They will be in your group." Cliff says.

All three of us share a smile.

"Okay, head over to bars then." Cliff says.

Franko greets us with a warm smile.

Mattee leans in and whispers to us, "Franko is one of the nicest coaches here, if you work hard. If you slack off, he will get mad. But to be honest, I think that's what makes him such a great coach. He coaches from the heart."

Liv and I share a smile. We get on our grips as quickly as possible and stand in front of him.

"Okay girls. On this bar is your full routine, start to finish. On the strap bar, work your stalders and toe shoots. On the other bar set, you work your dismounts. We have a few drills on the floor bars, then go around again. On the single rail, I'll spot you on your problem skill."

We all nod and separate to go to the stations.

"Hey you two," he says gesturing to me and Liv. "Could you come over here for a second?"

We walk over to him, a little shyly.

"Hi. I'm Franko." He says. "Welcome to our gym. What are your names?"

"I'm Olivia, but you can call me Liv. And this is Mckayla."

"You can call me Mickey or Mike, if you want."

He laughs. "Will do. Cliff already told me most of what you can do, so just get started on the stations. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

We smile and go to a station. I see that the routine bar set is open, and walk over.

I take a deep breath, adjust my grips, and jump to the low bar. I do the kip squat on and jump to the high bar. I do a kip cast to handstand, and do a blind. I swing as hard as I can, and do the piked jeger. I catch it by my finger tips. I re-grip and do the kip cast to handstand. I do my pak, catch the low bar, do the kip cast to handstand, pirouette, and do the toe hecht. I catch the high bar, do another kip cast to handstand, my two giants, and get ready for the dismount. This time, I remember to keep my arms by my ears and to keep my head neutral. I stick the landing, and salute. A few girls from my group were watching me. Checking out the new girl I guess.

"Mickey! That was amazing!" Mattee says.

I knew I would like her.

I thank her with a smile, and turn around, only to see Liv working with Franko. I see her in her handstand. She swings down, lets go, and throws a tkatchev. She catches the bar with flawless rhythm.

"Yeah Liv! Awesome job!" I yell.

"Good job Liv!" says Mattee.

I go over to Franko's bar.

"So," he says. "Any skills you'd like to get?"

I think for a second.

"A double layout dismount would be nice...." I reply.

"Well, based on your double pike, I think you could get that lickity split."

"Okay. So are you gonna spot me on one or something?"

He laughs. "Yes." He says. "I think I'm gonna do just that."

I do a kip cast, and as Franko holds me in the handstand, he says "do two giants, then tap as hard as you can. Make sure you don't throw your head back. Stay in a tight arch as you flip."

I do one giant, then the next, then get ready for the dismount. I tap as hard as I can, and flip. I stay in a tight arch and flip once, then twice. I land on my feet, but take a few steps forward.

"Great job Mike!" Franko says. "That was really your first try?"

"Yeah!" I giggle.

"Well amazing job. You can head down to beam."

I smile. This is turning out to be a pretty great day.