Chapter 7

Next we go to bars. Cliff tells us that he would like to see one routine. The routine that we were planning to compete at the meet this weekend. This routine for me, includes a kip pike on, kip cast to hand stand, blind, piked jeger, kip cast to hand stand, pak, kip cast to hand stand, pirouette, toe hecht, kip cast to handstand, giant, giant, double pike.

I begin the routine. I try to make sure there is a kind of rhythm to it, and to keep my swings long and flowy. My casts hit the handstand and hold, making sure to keep my form as tight as possible. Before I know it, I'm doing the giants getting ready for the dismount. I tap as hard as I can, let go of the bar, and do the double pike. I smack my feet on the high bar and crash onto my face. I guess I let go a little too late....

"You ok?" Cliff asks.

"Yeah," I say. "No big deal."

"Ok good. You're a tough one," he says smiling. "Just make sure not to throw your head out in your dismount. As you let go, make sure to keep your arms up by your ears."

"Ok." I say.

I then look to my left and see Liv doing a flawless bars routine. Bars and beam have always been her best. I'm more of an all around gymnast.

She dismounts a double layout and sticks the landing. She salutes and smiles to Cliff, who gives her a thumbs up.

"Very good Olivia," he says. "Have you ever tried a tkatchev?"

"No. I haven't." Liv says, maybe slightly embarrassed.

"Well, you absolutely have the ability. How about today I'll help you with a few drills, and then tomorrow maybe you can throw it with a spot. Sound good?"

"Absolutely." Liv says.

While Cliff shows Liv some drills, I continue on my routines. I make one pretty well, but fall on my jeger on the next one. Then I make three in a row.

"Great job girls. Let's see your beam now."

This is shaping up to be a pretty good evaluation.