Chapter 8

Beam. Beam is next. I like beam, but at other times, beam can be the most terrifying thing in the world.

"Ok," Cliff says. "Warm up all of your skills, and then show me a routine."

Liv and I practically have the same skills in our beam routines. It sounds pretty unrealistic, I know. But we started team together as level 3's. Living next door to each other, we became besties quickly. And when we found out there was a new gym opening nearby, we had to jump at the chance. At that point in time, we were 5 years old. We had just watched the Olympics together, and we were always playing in our yards, dancing and doing handstands. We started with classes, but we quickly went up to level 3. We've gone up all the other levels together since. And now, here we are, as level 10's. It's crazy, but there is no one else who I'd rather share the memories with.

I warm up my backhandspring back layout. I stand with my arms by my ears, and then swing and jump. I push super hard through my arms, and land, one foot before the other. I then jump through my legs, and stick the layout step-out. I then warm up my punch front, my side aerial, and then I warm up one dismount. I then ask Cliff to watch my routine. He nods, and turns his attention to me.

I jump into my middle splits for my mount. I finish my mount stepping out of my handstand. I pose and dance to the end, to do my series. I make the series, with a slight bobble. My toes grip the beam, and I make sure to stay on. I finish my leap series, my side aerial and my punch front. I get ready for the dismount. I do a good round off, and then do my round off double full. I stick the landing, and salute.

"Good," Cliff says. "But the series was a bit off. Just make sure to land with your hips nice and square."

"Ok," I say. "Sounds good."

I look over at the floor. The group that was on beam is now finishing up. I see one girl who just finished her tumbling pass. It was amazing. She has medium length, brown, curly hair that's in a bun. She looks maybe a year older than me. She's a little taller than me, and she's got an amazing smile. She looks over at me, smiles, points to the beam, and gives me a thumbs up. I smile back and mouth "thank you." This girl is incredibly nice. I hope that we become good friends.

I look back behind me, and Liv is finishing up the beam routine. She does her backhandspring, backhandspring, two and a half dismount. She sticks it perfectly.

"Wow." Cliff says. "That was an absolutely incredible routine. Great job!" Cliff gives her a hug and a high five. "You guys can get ready to go to floor."