Unknown

Finally. The satisfaction of hearing the sound of tires glide across the wet pavement as the boy drove away with Jaynalee was almost too much for me to handle. Almost. I waited silently in my hiding spot from above in the tree branches until their vehicle was out of sight before making my way back down to the grass.

       I quickly and quietly made my way to the front porch of the house and let myself in using the spare key. You would think they would have been smart enough to think of a better place to hide it. Then again, they weren't the brightest crayons in the box.

        Jaynalee though, she was different. I could tell she wasn't like her parents. There were a few times she got closer to catching me than I would've liked. She had made it farther than I would have ever thought she could. If only she knew the games were just getting started. If only she knew this game had been going on long before she had ever been made aware of it.

        I silently pushed the front door shut behind me and began my search for the note I knew she would leave. Finding it was easy enough; she had placed it right in front of the coffee pot where she knew the parents wouldn't miss it. I grabbed it and crumpled it into a ball, shoving it down into the pocket of my black jacket before replacing it with a note of my own.

Mr. and Mrs. Parks,

              I regret to inform you that you have a problem. We have your daughter Jaynalee, and if you ever want to see her again you'll do as we say. No questions. No games. No cops. No funny business. Understood? Exactly 30 seconds after you have finished reading this note your phone will ring with a call from an unknown number. Answer it. You will receive further instructions from there. Have a nice day.

        I heard clicking behind me and a quiet growling start as the family dog entered the kitchen. I turned around, pushing my black hood off of my head. The dogs tail began wagging as she recognized me, and I bent down to scratch her behind the ears. A guard dog won't do much against a person it's already familiar with.

        I double checked all of the cameras in the house as I made my way up towards Jaynalee's bedroom. Quietly shutting the door behind me, I took in my surroundings. Her purple comforter was spread neatly on her bed like usual. She always was the clean one. I ripped the comforter off of her bed, throwing it onto the ground. Then I turned to her dresser, pulling out the drawers and strewing them haphazardly across the room like they had been thrown around in a hurry.

        Within minutes the entire bedroom looked like quite a brawl had went down. Her parents would be dumbfounded that they had slept through what seemed to be a huge fight just down the hall from their bedroom. Although the sleeping pills I had slipped into their teas they had ordered at the restaurant that night could have something to do with that. I then opened her bedroom window just a few inches, large enough for a person to squeeze through, then exited the room through the door, pulling it shut behind me.

        Sweet innocent Jaynalee, I thought to myself as I descended the stairs. The poor girl honestly thought I was torturing her just because I wanted her parents to hate her. Just because she was supposed to break that guy Dean's heart? Because I wanted her to be lonely like us? Oh how naive she was. This had nothing to do with her. It was just icing on the cake that we got to make her life hell while we made our lives perfect.

        I left the house, pulling my hood back up over my head once I was out the front door. The storm raged on around me; lightning and thunder clapping overhead as torrents of rain pounded against me. I walked across the road and down the road a small distance from the house before climbing into my car.I rubbed my hands together after taking off my wet black gloves, trying to warm them in the heat of the car.

        The drive to the apartment was short, only 20 minutes or so. I climbed the stairs to the 2nd floor and let myself in to the apartment we'd been staying in for the last few days. I threw my wet jacket onto the musty old couch and kicked off my shoes before making my way to the kitchen to grab a snack.

        I sat down at the desk with a bag of chips in my hand turning my attention to the dozen or so monitors displayed across the wall in front of me.

Ally, Jaynalee's best friend, sleeping in her bed.

Dean, the supposedly handsome one, making a late night snack in his kitchen.

James, the funny one, zoned in on his xbox.

Jaynalee's parents sleeping away, oblivious to their missing daughter.

        The scenes stretched on and on. Every inch of their houses were on display for me, inside and out. I knew all of their secrets. I knew that Ally used the restroom on average around 3 times a night. I knew Dean was up around midnight every night making his nightly sandwich. I knew that Jaynalee wasn't the saint she claimed to be, considering I had seen her in both Dean and Kaden's rooms kissing both guys.

        She was really making this too easy for us, running off with that boy, thinking she was helping anyone, thinking she was helping her sister. The only people she was helping were us.

        I sat at the desk for hours, waiting for her parents to finally wake up. I didn't fall asleep or become bored. I was used to sitting here. I was used to waiting.

        Finally at 6:45 in the morning, Mr. Parks made his way downstairs for his coffee before work. Even through the film of a screen, I could see fear write itself across his face as he read the note.  I began the countdown once he put down the note. 30...29...28... I watched him sprint across my monitors, from the kitchen, to the living room, to the stairs, down the hall and into Jaynalee's bedroom.

11...10...9...8...

I watched him run again, obviously yelling for his wife to wake up. He grabbed his phone off of the nightstand by his bed, staring at it nervously while his wife waved her hands around, trying to figure out what was going on.

3...2...1...  I pressed call just as the apartment door behind me opened.

He answered on the first ring.

"What do you want you son of a bitch?!" He screamed at me.

I chuckled,"Come now Mr. Parks, there's no need for name calling. This situation doesn't have to end badly. You want your daughter back, and I want five hundred thousand dollars."

"Are you insane?! I don't have that kind of money! I'm calling the cops!"

"Maybe you think you can avoid giving me the money, but I assure you you're wrong. I'm not one to turn down a challenge Mr. Parks, and this is quite a large one. You call the cops and your precious daughter will get a bullet to the back of the head, understand? You have 72 hours. I expect the first payment by 6 o'clock this evening. I'll talk to you then Mr. Parks. Have a nice day."

"Don't you touch her-!"

I ended the call before he could finish his sentence and turned my chair around to face the person standing behind me.

"It's done," I said, a smirk on my lips.

She was making this so easy.

******************************************************************

Dedicated to Officialazalean for all of the votes and comments you've left on the book! Thank you so much!