The Hanging Man

Dedicated to ImHere4You for the cover she made me:) Thanks doll!

Enjoy!:)

**********************************************************************************************

When I came to I was no longer in the room with the hanging body, but outside of the room against the wall in the hallway. Dean was pacing furiously in front of me, whispering orders into his phone in the loudest quiet voice he could manage. I could still smell the stench the body was steadily emitting, and I scooted a bit further away from the door. My sudden movement caught Dean's attention.

"Get up here, now." He ended the call on his phone and dropped down to his knees, placing a hand on my cheek.

"Are you okay?" he whispered, wiping a tear away with his thumb.

I nodded, closing my eyes and leaning further into his hand. It was nice to see him being so caring again, it wasn't very often that I saw this side of him. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around my legs, resting my head against the wall.

"You have to tell me who it is Jaynalee, I don't recognize him and we have to call the cops."

"His name is David," I whispered, a silent tear rolling down my cheek,"He's my sister’s boyfriend."

"Shit," Dean cursed under his breath, moving to sit beside me against the wall.

"Of course he would have David too," I muttered to myself, the two were practically inseparable. My whole body felt numb. I had never seen a body before, let alone that of a person I knew. David wasn't a bad guy. He was 20, several years older than Alaina, but they had been together since she dropped out of high school. He used to have a drug problem, but they were finally both getting out of their bad habits. Just recently he'd went back to welding school to get his degree. Now, though, he would never get the chance to graduate.

I cried for him as I sat there, and for the life he would never have now that my brother, I shuddered, had taken it from him. I ached to be there for Alaina, to comfort her. I couldn't imagine the pain she was going through right now. I just hoped he hadn't made her watch David die.

"You don't think he could've... actually, you know... done it to himself do you?" Dean asked quietly.

My head snapped towards him,"What?! No! David was a good guy! He was finally making a life for himself he would never-"

"Ok Jaynalee shh!" Dean said, placing a hand over my mouth,"You have to be quiet, we haven't searched the rest of the building yet. Ally, Kaden, and James are on their way up through the stairway. We're going to have to form a plan B."

I sighed, nodding my head to let him know he could uncover my mouth now. Seeing his lap as an invitation, I laid down carefully on the floor, resting my head in his lap.

He ran his fingers through my hair as we waited.

“You know if you get bored there are plenty of things you could be doing down there right now,” he said and winked at me. I whacked his leg and he chuckled.

“Only kidding,” he said with his hands up in surrender, grinning like a little kid.

I rolled my eyes, unable to stop the smile as it crept onto my face,”Idiot,” I muttered.

A few minutes later we heard footsteps coming from around the corner.

“Jaynalee?” I heard a whisper. It was Ally.

“Over here!” Dean whispered back.

The trio rounded the corner and James’ face scrunched up,”It stinks,” he said loudly. The four of us shushed him.