Chapter 41: Just a Nightmare

Riley's P.O.V

As me and Owen walk along the dark alley talking about nonsense once again I smile up at him. When he doesn't respond I follow his gaze to something - or someone - in the distance.

" Owen? "

I question looking back from the shadow to him, who is still starring at the faceless figure. He begins to walk towards the figure in slow but long strides.

" Owen where are you going? "

I ask confused and follow him as he continues to ignore me.

" Owen talk to me! Why are you being like this? "

I question, my fear and emotions rising. I continue to follow him but suddenly I can't move forward, I put my hands out in front of me and notice there seems to be an invisible wall. However, Owen gets through with no problem and continues to walk towards the figure.

" Wait! "

I yell frantically but he continues to move forward. He finally reaches the figure and they reach out their hands to each other, intertwining. Then they start walking away together.

" Owen wait! I'm stuck! "

I yell, banging my fist against the invisible force.

" Don't leave me here! "

I yell but suddenly they both disappear into the darkness.

" I don't want to be alone. "

I whisper as I suddenly notice the darkness around me. It didn't seem scary when Owen was with me but now looking around it looks intimidating. I hear laughing and turn around to see red eyes every where, immediately I take off running and don't look back.

Maybe I can catch up to Owen if I run fast enough!

I keep running but suddenly I'm slammed into the wall.

" You can't escape that easily princess. "

I hear a familiar voice snicker and I look up to see the man who assaulted me standing over me. Before I can scream he yanks me up and covers my mouth, pushing me against the wall.

" Where ever you go I will be there. Have you not figured that out yet? "

He snickers as he presses his body against mine.

" No one can save you now. "

He says and I squeeze my eyes shut. I feel his hands all over me, roaming ever part of my body as if it was his to take.

Don't think about it, think of a way to escape!

I feel his sloppy lips on my neck.

Stop him you idiot! Do you want to be raped? Is that what you want?

~

" No I don't want this! "

I scream and start to punch my assaulter constantly and with as much strength as I can muster up.

" Riley stop! "

He says as he restrains my hands above my head.

" Get off of me! "

I scream and begin to kick.

" Riley calm down! It's me! It's Owen! "

I open my mouth to scream again but close it. I look up and see Owen breathing frantically while starring down at me in worry. I look around and see that we are on a small bridge outside at night.

" O-Owen? "

I stutter and look at him, blinking a few times to make sure it's real.

" It's me Riley, it's okay. "

He assures me in a calm tone and takes his hands away from my wrist, keeping his distance to not frighten me. Soon enough all of the memories come rushing back and I realize the situation, it was just a dream, a terrible dream.

" I'm sorry. I thought.."

I sigh and pull my legs to my chest, burying my face in my hands.

I'm suppose to be over this, it was one attack and it was only an attempt he didn't actually rape me. I shouldn't be so over dramatic about this. Now I'm even having nightmares over it?

" Riley talk to me, I'm here. "

Owen says but doesn't attempt to touch me.

" I don't want to talk about it. I'm fine, I'm sorry if I hurt you. "

" Oh please, your punches are like butterflies trying to take down a mountain. "

Owen teases, trying to lighten the mood. I chuckle slightly but still don't look at him, scared that he can see through me.

" Please talk to me Riley. "

He whispers but I can't bring myself to do it. Why do I feel so embarrassed and ashamed about what happened? I didn't do anything wrong, that creep did! So why do I feel like this? Why can't I bring myself to say what happened out loud?

" I-I'm sorry. "

I try to contain my emotions and blink the tears away but as my voice cracks my control over my emotions seems to vanish as I burst into tears.

" Please don't make me say anything. "

I say in between sobs as I cling onto Owen's shirt. He wraps his arms around me tightly but gently.

" I won't make you tell me anything Riley but you know I'm always here for you. "

For now.

My selfish thoughts can't help but mutter in the background of my mind. I shouldn't be bitter, I should be happy that my best friend is going to find his dream girl. I shouldn't be scared of having to protect myself, it's selfish of me to depend on him for so much, including my own protection.

" If it's about me leaving-"

He starts to say in a hushed voice but I cut him off.

" Don't worry, it's not that. I'm fine it was just a nightmare. "

I assure him, snuggling into him. I can feel his questioning and worrisome gaze on me and I know he doesn't believe me for a split second but he doesn't say another word.