Dirt Road Diary

Epilogue

I want to thank all of my readers for all of your votes and comments! I am so sorry it has taken so long to update and I greatly appreciate your patience. I had a hard time writing this last chapter and I hope you enjoy it. There will be a sequel. The baby in the picture is actually my beautiful niece when she was a baby.

Dear Diary:

It's been almost 9 months since Daryl left and still no word. Our baby is due any day. We're having a girl! I pray everyday that he will come home in time for her birth. I've got the nursery ready. The walls are painted pink, the crib bedding is pink/brown polka dots.  The crib is a white Jenny Lind with matching changing table and dresser. There is a white rocking chair sitting in the corner beside the window that is covered with pink curtains.  All I need is my husband and our beautiful baby.

-Josie

Josie's POV

"Alright Josie... One more big push and your beautiful baby girl will be here", my doctor beams.

I take a deep breath and push with everything my tired body has left before falling back against the soft pillow as the most beautiful sound fills the room, my daughter's first cries.

A smile spreads across my red sweaty face while happy tears sting my tired eyes.

Skylar Grace Dixon came into the world September 10,2002 at 5:30a.m.

The nurse gently places my beautiful angel wrapped in a pink receiving blanket into my arms.

I can't stop the smile that spreads across my face as I look into a pair of big "Dixon" blue eyes.

"Guess it's just you and me kid", I whisper, the smile dropping from my tired face as a tear rolls down my red cheek.

2 YEARS LATER

❤Merle's POV

The door opening causes me to slowly peel my eyes open.

"mornin' baby", a sweet voice says softly.

The bed shifts beside me as a petite body sits down.

"Alli", I mumble, "Wha' are ya doin 'ere?"

My blue eyes connect with her green ones. Damn, I love those eyes.

"I came to tell you it's time for you to go home", she replies. Her voice soft yet firm.

"I ain't got nothin' else but ma brotha", I spat, "Ya left me."

"I'm sorry", she sighs, "It was my time. You and Daryl have Josie."

"She don' give a damn bout us", I reply loudly.

"My cousin's heart belongs to your brother and she loves you like a big brother", she smiles softly, "You're her family and she needs her Dixon men."

"Ain't nobody love a Dixon", I mumble.

"That's where you're wrong", Alli sighs, "Josie loves you. I love you." Before I can reply, Alli climbs to her feet and quickly disappears through the door.

My eyes blink open, the headache from my hangover hitting me immediately causing my eyes to squeeze shut and a groan to escape my lips while I rub my eyes with the heels of my palms.