Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 7- A Lesson In Dixon

Dear Diary:

Derek has asked me out on another date. I'm not sure if I want to go or not. A friendship seems to be budding between me and Daryl. We had fun hanging out today. He even said he will teach me how to hunt. Speaking of which, I have to get some sleep. I'm getting up early for some crossbow training with Daryl.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

I can't believe I'm up at 5 a.m. on my day off. I take a quick shower, put my wet hair into a messy bun, and apply simple makeup before pulling on light tight fitting jeans, a black v-neck t-shirt, and black boots. I pour coffee into a pink travel mug, grab an apple from counter before grabbing my bag, keys, and phone on the way out the door.

The sun is beginning to rise when I pull into the Dixon's driveway. I climb out of my car and begin walking towards the backdoor when movement to my right makes me jump. I stop and turn to face the shop. Daryl is standing in the shop doorway with his crossbow hanging over his right shoulder and a smaller one in his hands, a ghost of a smirk playing on his lips. I smile and begin walking towards him. Before I reach him, he nods and walks to the backyard. I follow Daryl where he has a target nailed to a tree and a foam deer that is covered in small bolt shaped holes standing next to it. Daryl hands me the smaller crossbow.

"Ya' will use a youth crossbow, it's smaller and lighter", he explains.

My heart is pounding while I am listening to his words and watch his actions as he demonstrates how to hold the crossbow. I am having a difficult time concentrating while looking at Daryl's perfect features. The way you can barely see his manhood through his dark jeans, the way his muscular arms look in the sleeveless red flannel shirt he has on, or how his white wifebeater molds to his muscular chest from under his partially unbuttoned flannel, the way his scruff frames his perfect slightly chapped lips, and how his messy light brown hair frames his sparkling light blue eyes.

"Ya' ready to try it", Daryl asks while smirking.

I didn't even realize I was staring. "Y...Y...Yeah", I studder, my face turning a bright shade of red.

After following Daryl's instructions and missing the tree a few times, I begin to get frustrated. Daryl walks up behind me, using his right foot to push my feet a little further apart. My heart begins to pound while butterflies flap wildly in my stomach as a set of strong arms reach around me to assist me with how to hold the crossbow properly. My breathing becomes ragid as I feel Daryl's hot breath on my ear. "Ya' doin' good, just relax, aim and shoot", he whispers in my ear.

"Relax, aim and shoot", I whisper to myself before taking a deep breath and releasing the bolt.

A huge grin appears on my face when I see the bolt sticking in the center of the target.

"Good job", Daryl smirks.

"Thank you", I grin.

"Let's try again", he says.

After practicing for another hour, we decide to quite for the day. Daryl carries both crossbows into the shop before leading me into his house.

Once inside, I sit down on the couch while Daryl grabs two beers and sits down next to me. We sip on our beers while watching a fishing show on tv.

"I gotta take a piss", Daryl says while setting his beer down onto the old wooden coffee table and walking out of the room. I shake my head and grin at his bluntness.

While I am waiting on Daryl to return, Merle comes in the backdoor with Derek right behind him.

"Hey, Sugartits", he smirks.