Dirt Road Diary

Chapter 23- Can't Keep Me Down

Dear Diary:

Daryl's dad came back and attacked me. Daryl blames himself.  It hurts to see him like this. How can such a wonderful man come from such a monster? I'm going to help him through this.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

It has been 2 days since Daryl's dad attacked us. We haven't heard from him since. Daryl has been staying with me at my apartment.

We are sitting on my couch watching "South Park" while Merle and Alli are in her bedroom.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I go to stand up, but Daryl beats me to it. He walks over to the front door.

"Who is it", Daryl calls through the door.

"Police department", a raspy southern voice yells from the other side.

Daryl unlocks the door before pulling it open revealing a tall pale muscular man with blonde buzzed cut hair. His green eyes look at Daryl.

"Trey", I ask slowly.

"Jo", he asks with a smile.

"Oh my God", I squeal, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck.

"Ya know 'em", Daryl questions, a hint of jealousy lacing his words.

I release Trey's neck and step back next to Daryl. "Yeah, he was my first grade boyfriend", I smile.

I wrap my arms tightly around Daryl's waist, his body is already tensed. "Trey...This is Daryl", I smile while giving his waist a squeeze.

"Wha' my brotha do now", Daryl asks, his eyebrow raised.

The cops eyes fill with sorrow. "I'm not here fer your brother", he sighs,"Are you related to Will Dixon?"

"Tha's ma dad", Daryl hisses through clenched teeth.

"Come in", I instruct Trey,  my smile now gone being replaced with a frown.

I lead Trey over to the living room, Daryl following behind.  Trey sits down on the couch, I sit down next to him while Daryl stands in front of the fireplace, chewing on his thumb.

Trey's eyes look at Daryl then to me before going back to Daryl. "Your dad has been an accident...he appears to have been intoxicated", Trey explains.

"MERLE", Daryl yells.

"Wha", Merle responds, appearing in the doorway in just a pair of dark jeans.

Trey climbs to his full height looking at Merle with sorrowfilled eyes. "Your dad was in an accident," he says," I'm sorry... he didn't make it."

Merle shrugs and walks out of the room without a word, no expression on his face. Daryl grabs his keys off the bar before storming out the door, leaving me and Trey in an uncomfortable silence.

"I'm sorry", I apologize to Trey as we walk to the door.

"No...I'm sorry for having to deliver the bad news", Trey replies,  giving a small forced smile.

"I'm not sure how bad the news is to Merle and Daryl", I say softly.

"How do you know them", he asks.

"I'm sorta with Daryl", I reply.

"What do ya mean sorta", he asks, raising his eyebrows.

"We are together without the titles...I guess", I shrug.