Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 4- We Run This Town

Dear Diary:

I am very worried about Daryl. His brother was in a near fatal accident and is in the hospital. Daryl isn't taking it very well. I want to be his friend, but he won't let me in.

-Josie

*Daryl's POV*

Me and Merle pull into to bar parking lot. Before I even shut off the engine, Meryl is already inside the bar. I just shake my head while climbing out of the truck and walking into the bar. I step inside to see Meryl groping a drunk redheaded woman with big boobs, small brain, and too much makeup. I shake my head and order me a beer before retreating to a small booth in the back of the bar, sitting so I can see the front door. I drink a couple beers while watching Merle get shitfaced and pick fights all night.

The door opens getting my attention from Merle. In walks Josie and Alli. Alli goes right to Merle, leaving Josie standing by herself looking around. A smile appears on her face when she sees me. I watch her make her way over to me, the smile never leaving her face.

"Can I join you", she asks.

I nod my head towards the booth across from me, granting her permission to join me. She orders a beer and looks around the bar before landing on my face. I keep my eyes on my beer bottle while pulling on the label attached. After a few minutes of silence, she sighs causing me to look up at her through my eyelashes. She opens her mouth to say something, but is interupted by yelling. We both look to see Merle and another drunk yelling in each others faces and throwing punches. I jump up and step inbetween the two drunk men.

I feel a fist connect with my jaw. I turn my head glaring at the drunk that the fist is attached to. My breathing picks up as my eyes glaze over with red rage, my fists are at my side clenching and unclenching. I blackout from the rage, Josie's voice is yelling at me, but I barely hear her.

When my vision finally returns, the drunk is laying unconscious and bloody on the dirty floor at my feet, I glance at my bloody, busted up hands while trying to catch my breath. Josie grabs my hands in hers, our eyes connect, hers are filled with fear and concern. I don't know why, but it hurts me to see her afraid of me. I fight the urge to pull her into a hug and let her know it's ok, that she doesn't need to be afraid. I yank my hands out of her grasp before storming outside.

While walking to my truck, a strong hand grabs my shoulder causing me to jump alittle. "That's my baby brutha", Merle smirks proudly. I shrug him off, climb into my truck before driving off.

I can't get Josie's expression out of my head. I just want to turn around, wrap her in my arms and tell her not to be afraid. Instead I continue my drive home. Once there, I go straight to sleep.

I am awoken by the sound of laughing and moaning coming from Merle's room. I roll my eyes, get up out of my bed, pulling on my pants and boots. I grab my crossbow before heading out the backdoor to the woods. It is still dark outside, making it difficult to see what I am hunting. The sun is up when I've caught a couple squirrels, I decide to head back. As I step out of the tree line, I see Josie's car sitting in the driveway, Josie behind the wheel.

*Josie's POV*

I'm sitting in the Dixon's driveway waiting on Alli to come outside. I see Daryl appear from the trees with a crossbow in one hand and a couple sqirrels tied to rope in the other. He glares in my direction, irritation written on his face, before disappearing into the small shop.

After a few more minutes, Alli and Merle finally emerge. Alli kisses Merle passionately before turning around and walk to my car. I look at Merle, he makes an obscene gesture at me causing me to roll my eyes and flip him off before looking away. Alli climbs into the car and we drive away.

LATER THAT DAY

Alli and I are at the diner eating dinner, having some girl time when in walks Merle and Daryl. I watch as Merle smacks the waitress on the ass as he walks by, earning a disgusted glare from her before sitting down next to Alli, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. Leaving Daryl to sit beside me.

"Hey, sugartits,"Merle says to Alli. "Hey, Sweetcheeks", he directs at me.

I just roll my eyes and pull out my Nokia phone and begin playing "Snake II".

Merle and Alli engage in a heated makeout session while I play on my phone, Daryl playing with a piece of napkin. I feel someone watching me so I peek over at Daryl out of the corner of my eyes. Busted. I smirk to myself. He is watching me from the corner of his eye.

*Daryl's POV*

I am watching Josie playing on her phone. I notice a smirk ghost onto her face. I fight the urge to smirk too. She is so cute, I can't take my eyes off of her. I sigh trying to resist the urge to wrap my arm around her. It just becomes stronger so I get up and walk outside to smoke a cigarette.