Chapter 74 - Enjoying the Time

"Why don't you all come to our unit? I'm clocking on at 8 pm, but that gives me over an hour and a half to cook up breakfast for us all," Dimitri suggested.

Their group was awake. The Dhampir were happy enough. They were used to being awake at this time of day, if not earlier. The same could not be said of the Moroi. Lissa was looking particularly unimpressed to be awake at just past 6 pm, and Dimitri wasn't entirely sure Christian was actually awake. His eyes were open, but conscious thought seemed to be lagging somewhat behind.

"I thought it might be advisable to avoid the cafeteria this morning," Dimitri explained. "And there'll be a rush on at the feeders. Abe can order yours over to the guest quarters so you won't need to wait around."

"Good idea," Abe said.

"Hughes? If I give you a list, would you mind picking up a few things from the kitchens? No one really knows you here, so you're least likely to be questioned about last night."

"That's fine. Pavel if you take my pillow and quilt back to the unit I'll go now."

Dimitri rattled off a lot of supplies, but since he'd be cooking for ten, seven of them Dhampir, a lot of food would be needed!

Hughes set off in the direction of the kitchens while the rest of the group headed to guest quarters. Janine stopped at her unit on the way to drop off her quilt and pillow, Abe and Pavel at theirs to do likewise. Dimitri, Rose, Lissa, Christian, Eddie, and Viktoria all headed to the lovebirds' little unit. Racing to spread their quilt back over their bed, Rose was relieved no one had seen the state of their sheets. She'd certainly be adding them to the washing she planned to do later today.

In the kitchen Dimitri had the coffee brewing and the toaster going. Abe, Pavel, and Janine arrived followed not long after by Leslie.

"Hope everyone likes scrambled eggs!" Dimitri said cheerfully, cracking two dozen into a stockpot, adding butter and cream. In a second pot, he had spinach cooking, meanwhile filling the griller tray with sausages. Finally, he grabbed a frypan and started pan-frying bacon. Rose sat at the counter watching him, reloading the toaster as necessary and buttering the slices as they were ready, stacking them onto a plate.

Dimitri was about to serve when he realized they didn't have enough plates or cutlery! Pavel went and got a stack from their unit, returning a moment later to collect an extra couple of chairs. Eventually, everyone was seated and tucking into their breakfast.

"Aww this is so good," Janine said appreciatively. "You forget how good hot fresh food is when you eat most of your meals cold at least two hours after they were cooked."

"I'll cook you menemen while I'm here if you'd like Jeanie. Do you still like it?"

"Honestly, Abe, I don't think I've had it since I left Turkey, but I'd love to have it again," Janine said, giving him with a tentative smile.

"Is that the eggs with tomato, onions, and chilies dish we had in Turkey?" Vika asked.

"Aww yeah – that was delicious!" Rose enthused. "I loved that!"

"We know, milaya – you had three serves!" Dimitri chuckled, leaning to give her a kiss to take the sting out of his words.

Once everyone had eaten, and coffee served, Pavel explained to everyone what had happened the previous night. "I'm sorry if we scared you," he said to the others. "I just saw red hearing that sort of filth, and obviously Belikov did, too."

Lissa had her hand to her mouth looking as though she were going to be ill. "Do you think they were seriously going to try it?"

"I don't know," Pavel said looking to Dimitri. "Either way, even talking about it was more than enough as far as I'm concerned!"