Chapter 63 - Why Didn't You Tell Me?

It was so quiet you could actually have heard a pin drop. Stan was stupefied.

"You're married?" he finally asked.

"Yes."

"To Guardian Belikov?"

"Yes."

"You're lying," Stan asserted, looking first at Rose and then to where Dimitri stood at ease against the wall a couple of feet away.

"She's not," Dimitri said speaking for the first time, stepping forward and taking Rose's hands in his own while they shared an adoring look. Stan looked down at Dimitri's hand and saw a matching gold band on his ring finger.

"You're married?!" Viktoria squealed jumping out of her seat and standing in front of the two of them. "When?! Does Mama know?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

Still holding Rose's small hands between his own, Dimitri looked at his sister in amusement. "A week and a half ago on the morning of Roza's eighteenth birthday in Novosibirsk. We haven't told Mama yet, although Babushka probably knows. And we're telling you now," he said with a smile and a shrug.

"Oh my God! Now we really are sisters!" Vika shrieked, throwing herself at Rose in elation.

Eddie stood up and came over to shake Dimitri's hand.

"Congratulations man! I'm really pleased for you both!" Eddie then kissed Rose on her cheek. "I can't believe you married the Russian God," he joked. "I know you guys are going to be so happy – I've never seen two people as crazy about each other as you two," he said kindly.

The class was looking on dumbstruck. It was pretty clear that no one had seen this coming.

"Do you mean last weekend I didn't just crash your dirty weekend away? I actually crashed..."

"Our honeymoon." Rose interrupted Viktoria. "Just one more reason your brother was so livid," she said with a giggle.

Dimitri shot Viktoria a look for the 'dirty weekend away' comment, but she was too busy reeling over their bombshell for it to even register.

Having finally recovered his composure Stan barked at Rose. "Hathaway? I mean ROSE? Outside. NOW!"

With a smirk to Dimitri, Rose followed Stan out into the corridor where he seemed determined to have his say.

"Rose? I know you and I haven't always seen eye to eye, but have you thought this through? Why did you do it?"

"We did it because we're in love, Stan. And we're not going to let anyone keep us apart again."

"Rose have you forgotten he left you? You might not remember, but I was the one who carried you to the infirmary after you locked yourself in his room when he left. How can you have forgiven him so quickly? How can you be sure he won't abandon you again?"

"He didn't have a choice. Mom and Alberta caught him in bed with me and made him resign."

"He was having sex with you while you were a student here?" Stan asked stunned, his eyes nearly bugging out of his head. He was almost shaking with fury.

"Of course not! Dimitri would never do something like that! After Spokane, I was having horrible nightmares. I didn't have them if Dimitri was with me. So he'd come to my room and lie next to me each night until I went to sleep and then he'd leave. Some nights he was so tired after doing double shifts he'd fall asleep holding me. We were already in love, but we'd never acted upon it." It was a slight bending of the truth, but the essentials were correct Rose figured.