Chapter 1 Are You The Rabbit?

Start from the beginning

So here you were, after a whole month you spend healing, traveling towards your final destination with all your belongings messily packed inside the small car. Thankfully, the house you found was already furnished and safe-proofed accordingly. Only you had keys to it and the crew responsible for the renovation had replaced all doors and windows with security ones; there was no way in or out without a key. Also, you'd checked the criminal activity of the whole town and you were glad to see it was a bare minimum.

Sighing to yourself heavily, you pass a hand through your (h/c) locks.

It had been hard to uproot your whole life and move miles away, yet as you gazed upon the small town resting among the deep and serene forest, you couldn't help but feel your muscles relax and a sigh originating from the depths of your heart surfaced. It was your typical, rural and traditional American town in the countryside and the 2.700 residents were a sure proof for that; small children played merrily on the lawns of each house, while a few adults here and there would keep a watchful eye over them as they played on the streets, which were wide and well preserved, decorated by the canopy of the tall honey locusts and sugar maples tangling with each other in beautiful patterns painted by the warm colors the fall brought along. It was rather serene and picturesque to see and life was bound to be calm and quiet over here. A few shops here and a huge Walmart there, was all the place had to offer along with a very beautiful town hall and a huge library in a grand Victorian style. Venturing through a few more streets and driving towards a more secluded part of the town –near the forest's outskirts yet close enough to a few other houses–, you take a sharp turn left and finally park your car in front of your very own house. ( )

It was a lovely, two floor house made entirely out of wood and with a grand porch expanding from the main entrance and all the way to the right side of the house, disappearing towards the back yard. Painted in a faint off-white color and matching with the red tiles, it stood proudly right in the middle of the property, surrounded by the lawn and a small tree growing nearby the entrance. Turning the engine off right in front of the garage, you step outside and admire the view you were presented with: even if new beginnings weren't really your thing, gazing upon your secure house could only help you relax your already strained nerves. So with no further delay, you opened the trunk and started unloading the remaining boxes.

Truth be told, the combination of the savings you had along with a considerable amount your parents gave you, combined to buy you a much more comfortable house than the studio apartment you lived before. With a cozy and normal sized living room and a spacious kitchen, the upper floor consisted of a single bedroom, a main bathroom, another small room you turned into an office and a small attic; furnished with simple IKEA furniture and second-hand appliances (still in great condition though!), it was exactly your own cup of tea.

With that aside, you noted it was going to rain soon. Dark clouds were starting to gather over the horizon, walking steadily to cover the entirety of the clear sky and by the faint wind rising all around you, cold, dry and betraying winter was fast on its way upon you, you guessed the storm would reach the town by the time nightfall eventually came.

Picking another box up, you swear lightly; you didn't like storms at all and usually you passed them all cocooned under your blankets in your small apartment, with the next-door neighbor's voice breaking the silence as they swore the storms away, just as terrified but a lot more vocal about it than you. Alas, now you were alone and honestly speaking, nothing was going to change the cocooning part. Maybe a nice 1.5lt Coca cola and some warm tacos would help as well... hmmm, nah, how about a nacho night? Yeah, that sounds a lot better and of course, a nice chocolate-based sweet to make everything go away. Chocolate was good; it couldn't hurt anyone. Love you chocolate! Like booze but without the regret in the morning... hmm, well fewer regrets... fewer if dear jeans weren't mean... What were you thinking? Oh yeah! Uh, let's hope the storm wouldn't last long...