Chapter 33: Discovery

E: I told my sister and my best friend about you...

L: Eren...

E: Before you freak out on me, they're not angry nor do they hate you.

L: I didn't want them to know yet. I wasn't ready, like, mentally ready.

E: Why are you so bothered over this? They're very positive about this situation. They even said they would like to meet you.

L: It's just... I know I'm being overdramatic but whenever people know about me and what I've done, they're never been friendly so I'm very hesitant.

E: I'm sorry I went against your wishes, but they were excited for me to confess. I'm sorry.

L: I want to be mad at you but I can't because of 1. I love you too much and 2. it would be useless and 3. when I am mad at you, I can't stay that way for too long. You're forgiven.

E: Really? I'm off the hook that easily?

L: It's fine, it was going to happen eventually I guess.

They were more than a week into their fantastic trip to Italy and although they did many things like explore the many beaches, go to tourist attractions and had road trips, Eren's parents couldn't help but notice that their son spent an awful amount of time waiting. They weren't too certain what he was waiting for, but living with teenagers for a while they suspected he was waiting for texts and calls from a lover. At first, they didn't mind too much, but then they noticed how anxious or excited Eren would get once night fell upon Italy.

One night Carla decided to question her son, seeing that whatever he was waiting for made him appear extremely anxious. She cared a lot for her son and wanted to make sure he was alright, especially after what happened a while back. He was sitting outside on the balcony's tiled floor, cross-legged and swaying side to side with his cellphone to the side of his face like it was stitched there. Carla couldn't see his whole face, but she could see the corners of his mouth and how they rose. She wanted to talk to him but didn't want to interrupt him so she leaned against the door frame and watched as the full, lace-like clouds flew by.

"I hope you're doing well," she heard Eren say. She couldn't hear him quite well which was good because she didn't want to invade his privacy. She basked in the warm and welcoming sunlight and closed her eyes as the soft breeze caressed her cheeks and bare arms. Italy was beautiful and if she didn't have any connections and a job back home, she would want to live here and purchase a villa where she and Grisha would stay with sun kissed skin and brittle but flowing hair when they get old. She stayed there like that for a while and was just about to leave and wait for Eren inside again, but stopped herself in her tracks when she heard what Eren said into the phone next. She didn't mean to hear it, but it was clear and there was no chance it would escape from her ears.

"Hahaha very funny, Ackerman. Yes, I know. Alright. Don't forget to take care of yourself and that I'll be back soon. I love you," Eren said before hanging up and lightly tossing his phone onto his lap.

Carla approached him slowly, her steps light but loud enough for him to hear. He turned around and stood to his feet, surprised.

"Oh, hey, mom," he greeted her casually. He appeared to be panicking; rubbing the nape of his neck and rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Who was that?" she questioned. Ackerman was a name she feared, the way a child cried at the thought of vampires and rated R horror movies. The name left a dent in her heart. When she had heard the name Levi Ackerman for the first time, she was not angry. She was scared because she didn't know why he did what he had done. He saved her son, but also helped with taking him away. Ever since then, she saw him as someone she was thankful to, but could never look them in the eye without feeling slightly disgusted.