Chapter 18: Death

Eren had never been so bored in his entire life. There were times where he had to sit and wait patiently for doctor's appointments or stand in line for coffee, but the mere action of waiting was now so terribly tiring even if he wasn't moving much at all. He had his head leaning against the glass of the window as he watched the little arms on the tiny clock at the front of car move ever so slowly. Levi had found old cigars and was bored enough to light one up. He too was bored, but there wasn't much they could do. The only to options they had was to either talk (which would eventually lead to unnecessarily deep and awkward conversations) or sleep. Eren was in no mood to sleep, but he knew that if he tried to pry at Levi head on, he would shoot him down at any attempt at talking.

"I'm bored," Eren spoke his mind, without any meaning.

"Go to sleep then."

"Don't wanna."

"Stop complaining then," Levi told him and rubbed at his temples impatiently.

"There's nothing to do," Eren shot back like a child.

"Eren, please shut up," Levi said, almost angrily but calmly at the same time. He tugged at his hair without knowing it himself and let out an exasperated sigh, as if he was about to scold Eren."I'm just trying to think things over and I'm tired but you're making it hard for me. Please... Just stop talking for a bit, okay? There's nothing I can do about your boredom."

Eren shut his mouth as soon as he opened it, realizing that it was a mistake ever deciding that it would be a good idea to attempt at small talk when Levi was being moody.

"You need rest," Levi began. There was something in his voice that indicated that he was upset for whatever reason, as if he was broken inside. The sort of voice actors used whenever there was a dramatic breakup scene in overrated romance films.

It was the kind of voice the male lead would use when he told the other lead character that they could not be together, and that he had to leave them.

---

For a while, he watched Eren quickly fall asleep after struggling to keep his heavy lidded eyes opened. He studied the way his lips parted when he gently exhaled and how his lashes grazed the top of his cheeks. Strangely enough, he was going to miss these small details because he was going to leave him once and for all. It would be best for the two of them that way.

He quietly removed his only source of warmth, his jacket, and laid it smoothly upon the resting boy and gently swept fallen hair away from his face. With a sigh, he dunked his hand in the messy storage compartments to look for some paper and pen so that he would write a little note for Eren once he woke up. Levi was the type to leave without uttering a single word of his intentions, but in this case he would feel bad if he did not do anything to let Eren know about his whereabouts. Placing a worn out piece of a receipt from a sandwish shop on his thigh, he clumsily scribbled a believable excuse.

There's too much going on, so I went away to nowhere in particular. No matter what, do not attempt to find me. We won't ever be meeting again, but you won't be alone for long. The police will probably track you down soon. I'm so sorry for everything I've done. Goodbye.

-L

After carefully folding it the torn paper with ease, he carefully placed it it into the pocket of the jacket he had just put on Eren and brushed the fallen hair away from his closed eyes, the tips of his fingers just wanting to be near his skin and straining to be there. It was as if his touch was meant for Eren's skin. Levi snapped his hand back as if he were just shocked by a tiny zap, and shook off the thought. He was just about to leave, and it was not the time to suddenly get attached to someone he barely knew.