Chapter 9: I found Love

"Pardon me?" Eren said demanded.

"Never mind," Levi said a little too quickly. He looked away so that Eren couldn't see the sudden panic and realization in his face. Levi was often quiet, but once he opened his mouth he always managed to say the wrong thing.

Eren shrugged, knowing it would be better to leave it alone... For now.

Sleeping while being handcuffed to somebody else was uncomfortably irritating because Eren moved a lot when he was asleep. Sometimes he would unknowingly tug away, only to feel a heavy weight follow it. It wasn't really sleeping at all.

Levi watched him struggling to doze off as he battled to keep his eyes opened. All the running made him exhausted and he badly wanted to smoke to kill time, but knew it would bother Eren. He could feel his ankles and thighs throb with a light pain as he shifted around. He ran very hard, which was something he wasn't very used to because he was usually gone before the cops arrived. There were many things he wanted to complain about; how cold it was, how bump their journey was going to be, but he was just glad that he escaped them.

Was Levi afraid of jail? Yes, he was. But he wasn't going to ever let it happen. When he heard the policemen, he was thinking about the fact that he had been potentially put himself in a situation where he could get dumped in jail, but he was repeating a question to himself which he asked himself on many occasions. What am I doing? and What have I done to my life?

Levi never got into college or university but if he had never decided to stay with his uncle, perhaps he would have, but now it was too late. He couldn't turn back now after everything he's done. He was smart and knew that a life with good education and a stable place to stay was much better than life on the run.

Levi only agreed with Kenny because he didn't want to disobey him. Kenny was his savior and his protector, at least, that's what he believed. If he had to be truly honest, he didn't think he did anything too bad. Sure, stealing and pick pocketing was bad, but he had never killed anyone. He injured, but never shot to kill. Just because he had done bad things didn't mean he didn't know the difference between good and bad.

It had past an hour before Levi noticed Eren's uncontrollable chattering and shivering. He rolled his eyes as he slipped out of his thin and slightly dried jacket and placed it atop of Eren's trembling body. Somehow he could still see the little boy those many years ago as he slept, like a similar image. He was still the boy with the radiant eyes and stubborn spirit. He was still his hero.

And yet he was keeping him hostage and if Levi had to be true to himself in that moment, he really didn't know what he was going to do.

---

Eren's back was sore and stiff as he gingerly lifted himself off the ground. His nose immediately wrinkled to the scent of cigarettes drifting in the air. He was just about ready to snap at Levi when he noticed the state he was in; tired looking face with darker eye circles than usual. His lips held a cigarette and his limp hands were against the floor. He was staring blankly out the opened doors. Eren almost mistook him as dead.

"Did you sleep well?" Levi said in a quiet voice, his words slurred and meshed up together.

"That's what I'd like to ask you," Eren said.

"I didn't get to sleep, I don't really have time for that anymore," he answered curtly as he blew out a puff of smoke. "But anyways, we should jump out soon. I'm positive that we're far enough."

"But I just woke up."

"I don't want any complaining," Levi said in an irritated tone of voice. He rubbed at his eyes tiredly and proceeded to toss his stubby cigarette away.