Chapter 6: Of course I would do something stupid like challenge him...

"That's Matthew G. Pearson?" I heard a velvety voice speak.

"Yup, that's him."

I studied his shadow on the floor. It was pretty undefined and huge, with what appeared to be two huge horns, sticking out of what appeared to be a grossly shaped head(hugely-shaped head, if I'm not wrong), and a single unmoving pointed appendage, like a tail.

The dark shadow's silhouette kept moving and the neon lights in the shop made it look that much more weird.

"Really? He doesn't look like the type to make a deal with me, at all!"

I almost looked up to glare at him but stopped in time when I remembered Delilah's words. I proceeded to glare at the huge black leather shoes, (below what looked like normal dress pants) that he wore instead.

"Oh, believe me, I am exactly the type to make a deal with you. I'm desperate after all.... As you guys have repeatedly pointed out." I shrugged, but didn't look up.

"Ooohh snark! Honey, that was so pathetic, I'm starting to realize why people are saying the end of this world is nigh!" he said, his voice as sweet as saccharin. I heard the two demon womens' muffled laughter. I shook my head and steeled myself for what usually came next: physical pain. After all, bullying is bullying whether you are teenagers or matured adults, the embarrassment and the shame is same. The flesh memories of my childhood scars suddenly seemed to flare into existence.

"What?" I asked after a few minutes of dead silence.

"Nothing, just thinking of what your reason would be. You don't seem like the type running after money. Or fame. That's really odd. So what's your deal?"

"I'm here for true love." I wanted to challenge the gaze head on again but resisted the urge.

"What in the home! You want true love? Why are you here? You should be out searching for Cupid or some ish!"

"Cupid? He exists?" I almost looked up. Maybe luck was in my favour after all!

"Of course not! Cupid is Roman mythology man! And not so prominent as the usual good vs bad, god vs devil faith that the usual believers have. And what you people mostly believe in, is what gives form and existence." He was starting to sound annoyed.

"No you can't! You and a collective 50% of the human population or above need to believe! And even if he did suddenly exist, he won't know why he exists cause he'll be new! Meanwhile me and Him, up there? We existed from the start. The start of the singularity, the moment of existence of the universe.." his voice sounded far away, as if recalling the start of the story called life.

"Uh Mr. Diablo?" Desdemona spoke up.

"Yes, Mrs. Perez?"

"What do you suggest we do with Matt here?"

"Corrupt his soul and drag him to the depths of home of course!" His voice sounded as cheerful as if talking about good weather, or the next Sunday brunch.

"But he wants to make a deal with you. Wouldn't you want this to be a challenge? It's been almost a decade since you signed a contract and had an interesting experience before the dragging to hell part..." Delilah trailed off.

"I understand what you are saying Mrs. Perez, but I have so many other things to keep me occupied! The club, the people there, the wonderful ladies who visit this shop, and of course, my astral outings that I'm still doing right now. I never miss the hundred souls per day goal I set for corruption after reading that Time Management book and gosh I have to say it's been working wonders for my home count!"

"But sir! You need challenges in your life. Also, look at him! He looks like a riot! I'm sure we can squeeze him in your tight schedule during your relaxation time!"

"But my relaxation time is usually reserved for sloth and gluttony at times and lust at the others!" He whined.

Awkward silence followed. I didn't know what was happening but I could feel the women and Him having a silent eye-to-eye conversation, something I was not privy to!

"Hey! I exist in this room too! Stop ignoring me!"

"You humans... always so attention seeking..." his voice was full of disdain as though he had been babysitting the human race for millennia...

"And you expect me to put up with this for how long?" He addressed the women.

"For as long as it takes for you to help me get her!" I interjected.

"I'm not interested in this shit."

"Well someone seems pretty scared..." I pretended to examine my fingernails, for the lack of anything better to do. This sudden burst of courage surprised me, because I never let myself take decisions without carefully analysing how it would benefit to me.

I guess being in a certain someone's presence would definitely bring out the worst in anything and everything...

"I'm not scared of you puny mortal. A snap of my fingers and you could be dead or in my home or both." He threatened.

"But you would still be the one who was too scared to make a contract with a human."

"I'm not scared!"

"Prove it."

"Ughhh fine! Club tomorrow night at 9."

"Why not now?" I wondered aloud.

"Ladies? Can you please take him away before I turn him into a crow or something?"

"You go on Mr. Diablo. We will take the rest from here."

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Hey I am a back and god, this story is needs to be up and running pronto! I hope you will enjoy reading it because I have a ton in store for this book, it's going to be cool, I can feel it... Outlining all the chapters before beginning a chapter can do wonders I swear... 

Hope you all are doing well.

Vote and comment!

Is it Hot in Here... Or Is It Just You?(ManxMan)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें