Chapter 13: No peace at the office too...

I started my car and pulled out of my garage, ready for another day of gruelling work. I smiled when I heard I write sins not tragedies by Panic at the Disco playing on the radio.

The whole ride, I kept feeling uneasy as though being watched by someone...

But the feeling worsened when I realised I had forgotten something but didn't know what it was.

I walked into my office, still in a daze, trying to recall what I was forgetting.

"Matt! Matt!?" Josh waved his hand in front of my face, and I lost my train of thoughts.

"What?" I snapped at him, but felt sorry immediately. Josh had been nothing but kind to me, and yet I almost always treated him poorly.

"Did you hear about the new customer?"

"What new customer?"

"The one with a million dollar project! And whoever gets it done will be promoted!" Josh sounded like a kid high on sugar. He sure did look ready to jump around the office and scream out of his lungs.

"Oh cool." I replied, awkwardly patting Josh on his back.

"Come fast, the meeting is starting right about now!" He called as I entered my cabin.

I ignored the sense of foreboding and took my notepad and pen and walked out of my cabin, bumping right into Sam.

"Sam!" I kinda whined rubbing my forehead where it hurt the most and she laughed and help me up.

The moment she helped me up her warm hand left mine and she pushed me forward towards the meeting room.

"All the best Matt." Sam beamed and sped walk in.

I froze for a moment, missing her warmth.

I sighed and followed her, knowing that she deserved this project for how hard she worked.

Just as I open the meeting hall cabin, I heard a very familiar smooth voice. "Is everyone here?"

I slipped into the cabin, and found almost all of my colleagues glaring at me.

"I'm glad you finally decided to join Mr. Pearson." Mr. Romero, my boss pointed at the seat next to him coolly and I sat immediately without looking and thinking about anything else.

"You may proceed Mr. Diablo." Mr. Romero nodded and I slowly lifted my head to see our potential customer and froze.

Not metaphorically or figuratively.

I literally froze at the sight of the man who had haunted my waking thoughts.

So that's what I forgot about.

The devil smirked when I finally met his deep red eyes. For some reason I was reminded of Gulmohar flowers, and the dark red skin of cherries.

I smiled back at him politely, not wanting to create a scene at my office.

He looked taken aback.

He narrowed his eyes at me before he began the presentation.

~*~

"Wonderful, Mr. Diablo!" Mr. Romero nodded and clapped along with the rest of us, politely.

"I hope you can bring my vision to reality?" He cocked his head slightly and Mr. Romero immediately stood up and reassured him.

"Of course, Mr. Diablo! While your expectations are pretty high, I am going to make sure that this project is a success and put my best men on deck for it." He grinned and gestured for me to get up.