Chapter 14: Fate screws me up big time.

"Delilah?" I almost screamed into the phone.

"Matt? What hap-"

"These huge black bird monsters are attacking people! I think they are killing them oh my god!" I wanted to say, but sadly I don't think I was able to say it properly.

"Matthew Pearson! Calm the fuck down right now and explain to me what is happening without screaming panicked gibberish into the phone."

"I saw monsters killing people!" I rasped out finally, still breathing hard, the deserted alley looking more threatening by the minute due to the multitude of shadows passing it.

"Oh" she replied dumbly.

"Oh! OH ho! Finally!" Delilah whistled softly, and I felt like screaming out again and pulling out my hair.

"Matt! Listen, you need to stay calm. They will not harm you."

"But they are so freaking huge and have these beady black eyes and ughhhhh" I let out a groan, hating how helpless I felt. "They are killing people! Human beings! Left, right and Centre! Why?! And how have I never seen one before, and why was no one else freaking out!? Are they after me? Is this one more of your sick and twisted trials?"

"Matt can you shut up! Get your ass to the shop asap." She chastised.

~*~

I somehow pulled myself up to the shop, the mannequins with the led lingerie on display doing nothing to quell my anxiety.

"Matt!" Delilah rushed forward and hugged me, her fangs glinting weirdly in the bright fluorescent lighting of the shop.

She led me to the store rooms and gestured to a couch on which I collapsed like a starfish.

She chuckled and sat on the nearby chair.

"Now tell me what happened." She demanded.

"So I was in my car, and the traffic light turned red. And so I waited for the jam to clear and then felt my car shake like crazy and saw 4 dent marks on the top of the car, and then heard a scream. Turns out, a woman was being sat on and then killed by these weird black blobby bird monsters and the looked creepy as hell and-" I stopped my rambling when Delilah held up a single finger, an amused expression on her face.

"Did you just call the Spawn of Satan as blobby bird monsters?" She bit her lip and closed her eyes trying to stop herself from laughing.

I blanched.

"Spawn of Satan?" I wrinkled my nose, testing the words on my mouth, deciding that they definitely sounded weird.

"Well not literal spawns of course. We just call them as spawns because it's easier to say than 'physical manifestations of the dark lord of the world beneath our feet', or something." She shrugged, but her words made no sense to me.

"What do you mean?"

"They are like I don't know how to explain this, but yeah. Boss wills them into existence and they can do his bidding."

"So they were killing innocent people because the devil wanted them to?" I gritted my teeth.

"Oh no! Like yeah sure, they can do that also, but I think you were watching them feed."

"Feed?" I felt the blood drain from my face.

"Yeah, they get pretty tired so they regularly feed off of those Inexistentials."

"Inexistentials?" I asked, feeling  lost the more the confusing conversation progressed.

"Yeah, they are these uh um, how do I explain it?" Delilah suddenly sat up straight.

"People who escaped the trash can and exist beyond the fabric of space and time?" Desdemona sashayed in, her blond hair flying around her face like a fluttering curtain. She hopped and sat on Delilah's lap, interlocking their hands together.

"Matt just called the Spawn of Satan as blobby bird monsters!" Delilah hugged Desdemona as she threw back her head in a loud laugh.

"Matt finally got the Sight huh?" Desdemona grinned, her red lips still glinting creepily.

Lilah nodded and the duo continued to whisper within themselves, sometimes throwing glances at me before continuing.

"Uh can you guys tell me more about these Inexistentials please?" I asked after giving them a minute.

"Sure. So, these Inexistentials are technically not supposed to exist, but yeah they kinda escaped the crappy checking system of the angels anyway and yeah they exist but unlike any of the people who exist normally, these Inexistentials don't have an actually written fate." Desdemona nodded

"Fate?" My mind went blank.

"Yeah. You normal humans have an already written fate by which most of your life will go by. In fact, it's not like your entire life is set in stone or anything, it's more like a set of outcomes you are more probable to choose, than the others, given certain situations, depending on what kind of person you are." Desdemona tried her hardest to explain but shook her head.

"Just let it be for now. You will eventually be able to make your peace with it all. For now, just breath." She patted me on the shoulder awkwardly.

I sunk further onto the couch not being able to wrap my mind around all these unfamiliar things."

"There's way more stuff you don't know Matthew. And you probably never will. But don't continue to dwell on all that." Lilah patted my head, smiling softly.

Somehow my eyes closed on their own accord, my thoughts finally silenced, and I welcomed the temporary peace with open arms.

~*~

A/N:-

So we are nearing the half-way mark kinda, and I must tell you guys that this book hasn't been fun to write.

Hope you find it equally fun to read it?

The next update's gonna be sooner than you expect it to be, so be on the lookout for it too!

Vote and comment!

P.S:- did you notice the slight change in the title of this book?😏