Chapter 12: I am not ready to take care of myself, much less children!

"Hey ma!" I hugged her, then slid into the booth.

"How are you doing son?" My father first bumped me from across the table, still trying to convince me he was hip and all.

Some things never change...

I hid my grin and returned his greeting.

"I'm great dad."

"How's work?" Mom asked, trying to get me talking.

"It's good."

The waiter came and we ordered whatever we wanted. While mom went for a Caesar salad, dad and I opted for the cheeseburgers.

Some things never change...

"Found anyone new in your life yet?" My mom smiled once the waiter left them.

"Uh No not yet." I kinda lie. They would totally ruin things with Sam if I tell them about her.

Sam and my parents met during one of the many social events in the company to which I invited my parents because they wanted to get acquainted with my job. If they find out about me liking Sam, I could as well forget about any chance I might have with her.

"Matt! You are almost turning 30! We are growing old, we want to be happy in our last days, cuddling our grandchildren! I don't know how long we would live but the way things are going I might be dust by the time I have grandchildren."

"Ma! What is this!"

"Matt, I am not one for patience. Just get me grandchildren. I don't care if you just adopt one out of an orphanage now as long as I can care for it and be happy."

"I don't want children! I am not ready for that level of commitment, to another small child. I just can't! Why don't you understand?" I pleaded.

"Son, your mother is right. No point in dragging it out. I'm not going to guarantee you that all will be happiness and merriment after marriage. It's all the same. It's what you make out of that, that adds meaning to it. Don't delay it is all I am saying."

"Guys I don't want to talk about this now. Can we talk about something else?"

"No! We want to talk about this, and if you don't, deal with it." My father gritted his teeth.

I felt like yelling. Instead I stood up and walked out of the diner.

Why were they being so naggy?

Some things never change...

Ever since I was small, it's their words that was my command. And if that didn't work out, their disappointment was worse to deal with than any scoldings I could ever receive.

They micromanaged every aspect of my life, and I stayed a loner for most of high school, studying at home, and having almost zero friends at high school.

It was only after college I got good friends and a better level of independence.

But now they were back, trying to get me to do something I don't want to.

As usual...

I won't blame them. They love me and think they are doing the best thing for me. But they don't understand that I don't want to do what they are saying because I am not ready. Some things shouldn't be forced. They should come automatically, else, they shouldn't be done. Adoption or having children is one such decision that should be wholehearted.

My feet walked me back into the diner again and in a daze, I apologised to them for walking out.

As much as I hated their obstinacy, I still loved them.

"We are sorry for bringing it up now Matt. Maybe it's too soon?" Ma looked sheepish.

I nodded

"Come son, let's eat our dinner. Don't worry about anything else."

And for once, I didn't protest because I knew I don't want to.

Food had always been my solace when life was confusing.

~*~

A/N:-

How you folks doin'?

Ok I don't even know.

Vote and comment!