Chapter 9: I meet the devil, literally.

It was a stunningly handsome man, in a dark tux and a blue bow tie, his hair was wavy and stylized to be shoulder length. He also had a dark black ring-like shape around his head, which looked to be floating there, damaged and broken for a long time. He had two huge wings somehow jutting out of his shoulder despite the expensive suit, but the two wings had what looked like a horn, jutting out of them, but the wings were so tall, that the horns looked to be sprouting from somewhere behind the man's head. But his most striking features were his eyes. They looked like normal human eyes, but the iris was a deep crimson. Not glowing and all(Pop culture loves to exaggerate)

Both Delilah and Desdemona stood on either side of him, watching curiously.

After what felt like an eternity of him staring down at me, he beckoned me to follow and strode away without looking back.

I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling.

He thinks he's intimidating? Try waking up my sister early on a Sunday morning...

"Matt come on!" Delilah called as the trio disappeared into one of the tall corridors.

Eventually we entered what looked like a posh office and as soon as the doors closed, any and all noises from the club were silenced. Soundproof walls...

"Please take a seat, Mr. Pearson." The guy spoke, watching me warily.

Why was he being so formal? He was pretty annoying the other day?

He started to arrange the things on his desk, as though searching for something.

The room was painted a pale ochre and the dim lighting cast weirdly shaped shadows around the room.

"Sir, it's here." Desdemona handed him a huge folder with a small amused smile on her face.

He opened the folder and read from it for a few minutes before closing it and looking up.

"Mr. Pearson, there are a few ground rules you have to follow before you sign the contract." He gestured at the folder.

"You have to read through the entirety of these carefully prepared terms and conditions. If the contract is signed, there is no going back. So read the fine print. After all, this is a matter of life as well as after-life." His face remained expressionless but his eyes somehow looked amused.

He tilted his head when I didn't respond for a minute.

"Fine I'll read it." I huffed and tried to pull the folder towards me but was stopped by a pair of calloused hands.

"While you are reading this, you will also have to go through a few uh, tests of sorts."

"Tests?" I asked

"Yes, tests. While the terms and conditions reading would be for your benefit, these tests are for us to see if you are worthy of holding to the contract."

"Oh come on! What is this tests and stuff? Am I applying for a scholarship or something that you have to check my worth?" I said, finally swatting away his hands from the humongous folder to try and pull it towards myself.

His hands on mine stopped me this time. I tried pulling harder, by it didn't budge.

"Well. You could think of it as a scholarship for what you need in life.... convince us." He smirked, suddenly withdrawing the folder with ease and held it out to Delilah.

"Give it to me." I gritted my teeth.

"I'll gladly do so once you pass the tests." He folded his hands.

"Fine. Whatever. When do I come and write them?"

"Write them?" He gave a short mellifluous laugh.

"You go through them. Think of them less as written tests and more as action packed trials." He grinned, a faraway look in eyes as though contemplating some cruel things.

"And when will they happen?"

"We will let you know, Mr. Pearson."

"I hope you don't make me come here everyday at this hour. I'm a busy man and I don't have time for such subpar endeavours." I tried to let them know that I can hold my own.

"Well if you want that girl, you gotta do what you have to, right? He shrugged.

"B-but"

"Matthew G Pearson, if you want Samirah Mathers so badly, then you will listen to me. Every single word I say, is your command."

"And if I refuse?" I glared at him, dreading his answer.

"Then I'll make your life a living hell." He stood up and walked out. 

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:-

So what did you think about this new man? Is he really who he claims to be? Or is this all some cleverly masked trick or something?

Vote and comment!