Heartless

Three days had passed since the attack and Amani was yet to wake up. Kankuro sat next to her, his hand on hers. Sakura had tried to study those chakra threads attached to her spine only had Kankuro slap her hand away.

"You cannot touch them Pinkie", the puppet master snarled.

"Why not? They could be a danger to Her!".

"Because they are attached to her very chakra flow now. Take them away and she may not longer use chakra or worse she could die".

Sakuras eyes widened at this and she backed away from Amani.

"I would at least like to see the damage they may have done to her spine". Kankuro nodded and helped her roll Amani on to her stomach.

Sakura gasped at what she saw. Several scars ran along Amanis back. She noticed how all of the scars lead up to the strings, apart from one. She followed it down and slowly lifted her gown.  Kankuro blushed for a bit then frowned.

"What is that?", Kankuro asked.

Wide scars spread across her thighs, like straps.  Sakura began to cry at a particular set of scars. "Those Kankuro are fingernail like scars. From someone holding her down.  And the last one, that red one....", Sakura trailed off, "can you help me roll her over".

Kankuro once more rolled Amani on to her back and Sakura raised the front of her robe, another gasp followed. A scar ran across the Hyuga girls womb. Then there were several across her stomach. "There are scars where her vital organs are".

"What do you think happened to her?", Kankuro asked the pink medical ninja. Sakura frowned and covered Amani back up.

"On her mission her team died. There was the chance she had her organs removed as preparation for being made as a puppet.... The others though", Sakura looked down. "They are signs of cruel torture and other things", her eyes lingered to her womb and frowned.

Kakashi entered and asked to be left with Amani. He had overheard everything. They should know better than to talk of such things near her. She could have woken up.

He sat besides Amani and studied her face, even in this condition she was truly beautiful. He had endured a lot of torture on his life as well but to the extent that this girl has been through.... and that was just physical torture....

He placed his hand on her head and felt the heat. Then he placed his fingers to her pulse only to find it wasn't there. What the heck?

Kakashi saw how her eyes were flinching so he knew she was still alive and yet she had no heartbeat. After the battle everyone expected Amani to be exhausted though it had been three days and it was hard to believe it was just exhaustion.  Kakashi however, knew better. It wasn't that she was getting worse or was sick. She was giving up. He knew this feeling, the feeling of dread. Helplessness.

"Just don't give up Amani, you are a bright light in these dark days", the silver haired ninja pulled down his mask and placed his lips on her forehead.

Amanis eyes opened and she looked at him. A soft face, the complete scar that covered his eye. A beauty mark just below his lip. She raised her hand and traced his scar. Kakashis eyes widened then softened at hers. He let her trace the scar. The small emotion that flickered in her eyes was enough for him to be lost in her eyes. He saw that her clear purplish eyes held a small spark of green around the rim. If they had just been left in that moment, Amani would have gotten better but then everything came back. A single tear slipped from her eyes before they became dull once more.

Kakashi lifted his mask back up and backed away.

"Erm I'll go tell them that you are awake", he muttered as he headed to the door. With one more glance at her he saw how she just looked at her hands as if they were the most fascinating thing in her life.

Amani sat up in the bed, she remembered it all. Once again she was left behind. Why didn't you take me with you Mina? Rin?

She found that her emotions just wouldn't respond. She felt a small pressure in her chest but it would just go away. Her emotions were sealing themselves away. Amani raised her head to the door when people entered. Neji ran over to his sister and pulled her to his chest. She felt warm tears fall against her cheeks. Amani looked at him with a blank stare.

"Please never do that again. I thought I lost you", Neji said softly as he pulled her back into his arms

When Neji released his sister, Tenten wrapped her fingers into his and pulled him away. Lee sat next to Amani, his eyes were puffy and his fists were raw. He looked at her and fiddled with his bandages. Guy watched his student closely. Never had he seen Lee in such a state, not even after his battle with Gaara. Lee saw the hollow expression in her eyes. She is numb.

Kankuro moved awkwardly, after what Sakura had told him and what he had seen, the puppet ninja just didn't know what to say. He left the room, a fury in his eyes. He was angry, furious and seeing Lee with her made his stomach burn. He was jealous. Do I love Her?

Naruto saw how Amani would simply look at those around Her, the blonde wanted to make his friend feel better. He kind of knew the feeling of losing a friend, fair enough it wasn't like how she had lost Mina and Rin but he did loose Sasuke. Those kinds of bonds were hard to loose.

Guy saw how his rival leaned against the wall, book in hand but stealing glances at the Hyuga girl. He had also seen how Lee looked at her. He grabbed hold of his rivals wrist and pulled him into the corridor.

"You've got it bad my friend", Guy grinned at the copy ninja. Kakashi raised his brow and sighed.

"I don't know what you mean", he muttered.

"Oh really. I think someone has feelings for Amani", Guy grinned at how Kakashi jumped back a little.

"It's not that! We just have a few things in common and talk joke around. I mean yes she is beautiful, strong, a wonderful ninja. But she is also my junior", Kakashi rubbed the back of his neck. Who am I kidding?

Guy laughed and placed his hand on his rivals shoulder.

"Good luck my friend. You will need it, many are after her heart. Lee included", Kakashi sighed and slumped against the wall. He was screwed.

Now that Amani was awake it was time to head back to the village. So there they were, standing at the gate of the great sane village. Gaara even offered up a shy smile.

Amani looked at Kankuro and titled his head. He was red. She walked over to him and studied his face. "You may be getting sick. Get some rest", she spoke, her voice carried not a slightest hint of emotion. Kankuro nodded.

They all headed back to the sand village and afterwards, Guy and Kakashi went to find Uzuki. They needed to know what to do about Amani.

Amani looked up at the sky as the heavens began to cry. Many ran for shelter but she just let the rain hit her as she stood by the large rock in the medow. A few tears escaped causing her to touch her face.

Am I sad? What am I supposed to be feeling right now?