Severus became concerned as afternoon began to turn to evening. He'd just decided to go searching for Lin when an owl arrived carrying a letter from her.

Dearest Severus,
Met Molly and went shopping for baby things. I'll be home by dinner time.
Love you, Lin.

How many things do babies really need? Severus balled the letter up, threw it the air, and used wandless non-verbal magic to set it alight. He went back to scribbling notes on the anti-lycanthropy formula he was still working on. A few hours later, more owls arrived and dropped four little boxes on his desk from a shop called Toddlin' Tots. Severus opened the card on one of the boxes and the voice of what sounded like an older woman told him that they were charmed to hold large items and warned that the boxes not be opened in a crowded space. Severus had no interest in baby things and let the boxes rest where they were. Moments later a ward going off told him that Lin had arrived home. Not long after that, Lin entered his study laughing and carrying the parchment he'd left for her.

"I see you found my note."

"Yes, thank you for the very clear instructional." She moved to stand next to his desk and moved his hair from in front of his face, which he promptly shook back into place. "I guess you haven't eaten dinner?"

"You've guessed correctly."

"You didn't open the boxes."

"Why would I?"

"I bought some things for Nikki. I thought you'd want to see them."

"Not really." Severus turned his attention back to his potion formula.

"I thought it was time Nikki had his own room. I think the one across the hall will do. I don't want him too far from us. Any thoughts?"

"No."

"I didn't think so," said Lin. "Molly helped me pick out furniture, and she's going to help decorate later in the week."

Severus heard Lin, but didn't respond. He didn't care at all where Niketas slept, and he was much too busy with his potion to blather about pointless things. Lin leaned down and kissed his cheek.

"What was that for?

"For helping Remus."

"I've done nothing for Lupin," replied Severus and went back to scribbling.

"But you're trying, and I know you're doing it for me. So thank you." Severus nodded, but didn't look up from his work. "Sophia sent a care package for you." Severus grumbled and rolled his eyes. "I'll put it away for now. Is there something you'd like me to make?"

"As long as it's hot and not Italian, I'll be satisfied."

~~~

Remus and Tonks extended their mini-vacation for an extra day, and Remus came to pick up Teddy on Tuesday morning. He and Lin sat at the kitchen table with their cups of tea and biscuits, and Lin listened while Remus happily chatted about his romantic long weekend with Tonks. The two babies where just through the doorway happily swinging in charmed swings in the dining room.

"We had a fantastic time. It was so relaxing, just the two of us," said Remus as he plunked a biscuit into his tea.

"Will there be pictures?" said Lin.

"I don't think that would be appropriate."

"Didn't you leave the hotel room at all?"

"A couple of times...I think."

After the laughter subsided, Lin decided to turn the conversation to something more grave. She knew her timing was off, but there was no gentle way to discuss the matter. "I hope I won't put a damper on your good mood, but there's something serious I need to discuss with you."