Part 2

The professors who were to be Lindsay's instructors were gathered in Dumbledore's office waiting for her to arrive. Minerva McGonagall had gone to fetch her and was due back at any moment. Everyone was sitting and chatting and drinking tea, except for Snape, who stood stock still at some distance from everyone else looking sour and put-upon. At last, they heard McGonagall's voice as she entered the room with Lindsay in tow. The headmaster moved to greet them while the rest of the faculty stood and formed an informal line.

"Hello, Professor Dumbledore, it's so good to see you again."

Snape eyed her as she chatted casually with the headmaster. His eyes slowly moved over every inch of her, taking in every detail. She had long, dark-red hair, fair skin, and large, vivid blue eyes. She was large in other places too, specifically on either side of her chest. She had a lean build, slim round hips, and a small waist. She wore a light-blue silk blouse with no collar and a low neckline. He surmised that her choice of dress was designed to make a favorable impression on her male instructors. She wore fitted gray trousers that outlined her long slim legs. She was very tall and wore low-heeled black dress boots. Dumbledore escorted her over to introduce her to her teachers, and Snape had to raise his eyes a little to look at her.

Remus Lupin, out of the corner of his eye, noticed something odd about Snape's posture, and turned his head to look at him. He was troubled by the force of Snape's gaze and the rigidity of his body. His concern deepened as an oddly indignant expression crept into Snape's features. It was as if Snape was bracing himself against something. The girl appeared not to notice or, at least, not be bothered by it. She smiled warmly at Snape as Dumbledore introduced him to her. Snape flinched, almost imperceptively, when she extended her hand, but accepted it. His cheeks reddened and he dropped his gaze when she laid her other hand over the back of his. The girl clearly saw and understood his reaction, and softly patted his hand before releasing it. Lupin managed to quell the laugh that desperately wanted to erupt from him, but couldn't prevent a mischievous smile from taking over his features. As Snape brought his eyes back up, he noticed Lupin observing him. Snape's eyes narrowed into a hate-filled glare, and his mouth curled into a sneer. Lupin winked at him.

The girl was next introduced to Flitwick. She modestly placed her left hand over the front of her blouse as she bent down onto one knee to speak to him, and placed it there again as she rose to greet Lupin. Each of her professors were greeted with the same warm smile and extended hand. Snape watched her carefully as she was introduced to Rubeus Hagrid, curious to see her reaction to the half-giant.

"Professor Hagrid," she said as she extended her hand to him. Her bearing gave no indication that Hagrid appeared unusual to her. Judging by her demeanor alone, one would think Hagrid's height and proportions were commonplace.

"Jus' Hagrid."

"Okay, Hagrid, it is. You're the one I've been most anxious to meet. I'm very fond of animals, though I admit that I've had little experience with them. But, I promise you, I'm not afraid of hard work or getting my hands dirty." Hagrid beamed with pride and immediately invited her tea, which she accepted. "Yes, I'd very much like that."

Lupin leaned toward Snape and whispered, "Pretty, isn't she?"

Snape glared at him. "To some, perhaps."

"Now that everyone's been met, I think it's time to show you where you'll be staying," said McGonagall. Lindsay followed her out of the headmaster's office toward Gryffindor Tower. "Now remember to pay attention to the staircases; they have a tendency to move." Lindsay's eyes were wide with disbelief. Staircases moved by themselves, ghosts greeted her, and the most bizarre thing of all, the portraits not only moved, but spoke. McGonagall spoke to a noisy aggressive portrait, which she identified as Sir Cadogan. The portrait then moved to let them pass. "This is the Gryffindor common room. That staircase leads to the boys and girls dormitories. Due to your age, I've decided it would be best for you to have more private quarters." McGonagall looked about and muttered, "Hmph, all boys," then spotted two girls sitting together and talking. "Oh, Miss Granger, come here please...and you too Miss Weasley. Follow me girls."