Part 28

Remus rose late in the morning looking just as tired and disheveled as when he retired. He padded barefoot down to the kitchen, but stopped before entering as he heard an unfamiliar voice.

"You call me straight away if you see that dog about."

"I will Mr. Browning," replied Lindsay cheerily.

"Don't be goin' near it now. It's big and stray dogs can be dangerous."

"I won't go anywhere near it. You have my word. And please thank Mrs. Browning for the scones."

Remus gritted his teeth in temper. They'll never preserve their cover if Sirius kept running around in the daylight hours. He waited a moment, listening carefully and didn't open the door until he heard Lindsay washing dishes. She still insisted on doing things the muggle way.

"Morning, Remus," she said as he entered the kitchen and plopped heavily into the nearest chair.

"Morning, Lin. Sorry I slept in."

"Sleep as much as you like. You need the rest."

"You're a mother hen."

"It's a compulsion. I can't help it. Tea?"

"Yes, please." Lindsay poured him a cup of tea and sat two blueberry scones on a plate in front of him. "Where's Sirius?"

"He's in the springhouse. He's sprucing it up for you." Remus didn't reply to that. "There's something I need to ask you. Sirius told me that Professor Snape is a Death Eater..."

Remus roughly set his teacup down, splashing tea onto the table. He rubbed his eyes for a moment before answering. "Severus was a Death Eater. He's not now. Albus wouldn't hire a Death Eater as a teacher." Remus's tone had been sharper than he'd intended. "I'm sorry, Lin, I didn't mean to snap at you."

"It's fine, Remus. I know it's the illness."

"It's a curse not an illness! I'm not an invalid!" Remus sat back in his chair. "Lin, I'm--"

"You don't need to apologize. Eat your scones. Mrs. Browning's a wonderful baker."

Remus was drinking his second cup of tea when a large, black, shaggy dog trotted across the patio and in the backdoor. The large canine form morphed quickly into Sirius, who stood in front of the counter and lifted a scone from a wicker basket. He sat down across from Remus.

"The neighbors saw you."

"And a cheery good morning to you too, Remus." Sirius nibbled on his scone, dropping crumbs on the table.

"You've got to be more careful, Sirius. We'll be caught if you--"

"So a couple of muggles saw a dog. It's not like they're going to inform the Ministry."

"They could post flyers or place an ad in the newspaper asking about a missing dog," snapped Remus.

"Hm, hadn't thought of that," mumbled Sirius. He waved his hand and the basket floated to the table. He helped himself to another scone.

"You never think anything through! You never think about anyone but yourself!" growled Remus.

"I'll let that pass since it's that time of the month," replied Sirius nonchalantly, still dropping crumbs. Lindsay sat a cup of tea in front of Sirius and took the chair next to him. "Cheers, love."

"How's the springhouse coming along?"

"At least someone appreciates my hard work," said Sirius, shooting a smug glance at Remus. "I've come back for some furniture. A couple more hours and it'll be as safe as Gringott's, but a lot cozier."