Part 45

"Here we are," said Lindsay as she travelled along her driveway. She hastily parked her car and ran to the passenger-side door. She grasped his hand and practically dragged him into the house. Once inside, she headed immediately for the stairs. He began to pull away. "Don't be shy, Professor." He let her drag him to the second floor. Part of him wanted to flee, but the sordid side of him wanted to stay. He didn't like how aggressive she was being; it made him uncomfortable. He was trying to think of a polite way to refuse her, when she stopped, flung open a door, and flicked on the light inside. It was a washroom. "There's a bathrobe in the closet. Put your clothes in that wicker hamper and I'll get them when you're done." She closed the door behind her, and he couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

Snape emerged moments later; his hair wet, face clean-shaven, and wearing his usual black robes. Lindsay was waiting for him. Her hair was also wet, and she wore thermal lounge clothes and a pink hoodie. The clothes she'd been wearing were lying on the floor some distance away from her.

"Were your robes underneath the skank-wear?"

"They were sealed in a bag in my pocket. They're uncontaminated." Snape pulled out his wand and pointed it at her head. "May I?"

"Certainly," replied Lindsay. Her hair dried immediately. "Thank you." He pointed his wand at himself and dried his own hair. "You're much cuter without a beard, Professor. I've never been a fan of facial hair, although it does compliment some men." She retrieved the hamper, placed her own clothes in it and proceeded down the stairs, hamper in hand. Snape stopped her and took the hamper from her, floating it in the air in front of them. They went out to the back garden, where Lindsay asked for the hamper to be set down and retrieved a box of matches from her pocket. She lit a match and dropped it into the hamper where it sat atop her clothes and the puny flame wavered for a second before going out.

"Step back," commanded Snape." He pointed his wand at the hamper and said, "Incendio." He turned to Lindsay looking very much annoyed. "You know that spell. I know you do."

"But I have matches," replied Lindsay. The levity didn't work. They stood in silence for several moments watching the hamper burn down to ashes. "You really must stop stalking me, Professor. People might talk."

"I'm not stalking you," snapped Snape and some color flushed his cheeks. "I wanted to give you your Christmas present."

"Oh, how nice," said Lindsay with some surprise. "I wasn't expecting a gift. Where is it?"

Snape put out the fire and cleared away the ashes before holding his arm out for her to take. They apparated to a dark and lonely patch of woods. An eerie silence, broken only by the hoot of a distant owl, lay heavily on the trees.

"Where are we?"

"You'll see."

He took her hand and walked among the tall trees, looking up for a gap in the canopy. "This will do. Come closer and put your arm around my shoulders." Lindsay did as she was told, not knowing what to expect. Snape wrapped his arm around her and held her tightly. She jumped a little when she realized they were rising into the air. "Relax, I've got you." They rose up, higher and higher, until the canopy was barely visible. Dark misty clouds rolled and twisted around them. Tiny pin-points of lights marked a set of far-off villages.

"What are we doing?"

"Shh, you'll see." Lindsay stiffened and gripped Snape more tightly as she spotted an enormous black shadow in the distance coming straight at them. "Thestrals," whispered Snape. "They're migrating."

Huge hairless dark wings moved gracefully and powerfully through the chill night air, keeping the enormous bodies of dozens of thestrals aloft. The beasts were generally silent except for the occasional soft snort. The herd flew in a tight formation that broke only to pass around Lindsay and Snape and reformed again once they passed the levitating human obstacles.