Part 41

Lindsay watched as the Malfoys walked away. Snape remained in place, but his eyes followed a very beautiful witch as she sauntered past him. His expression didn't change as his gaze followed the woman. She disappeared into a shop and Snape returned to perusing some odd holiday trinkets. Lindsay stepped out of the shop and was about to join her chaperone when she saw a witch who'd watched Snape's interest in the beautiful woman who'd passed him. Lindsay put her hand over her mouth to hide her laughter.

It was obvious what sort of woman this witch was, and Lindsay wasn't going to interrupt her advances until she knew what Snape's reaction to her would be. His private life was his own to manage. The plain-looking, but not unattractive, young witch was seeking to ply her wares, or even better—land a man with a steady job. She approached Snape and stood very close to him. She looked up at him, smiling, and spoke quietly so only he could hear. Snape shook his head, but didn't engage in conversation with her. She attempted a second time to get his attention, but he moved away from her. She followed him and put her hand on his arm. He turned and leaned down to her, and Lindsay watched as the expression on the young woman's face moved quickly from confidently happy to a boiling rage. She slapped his face and stormed off. Snape smiled. Lindsay took this as her cue to rejoin her surly companion.

"Took you long enough," said Snape.

"I had to find the perfect gift, and I had a nice chat with the lady—"

"You were standing outside the shop for at least five minutes."

"You saw me? Your peripheral vision is excellent."

"It has to be, given my line of work." Snape extended his arm for her to take, and they began walking slowly in no particular direction. "Is there anything else you need to buy?"

"I have everything I need, but I thought we could stop for some—"

"Apples!" declared Snape suddenly in a tone of voice that would've sounded quite natural coming from a small child. A vendor with a small cart had apples, pears, and strawberries for sale, and Snape darted toward it to buy half a dozen ruby-red apples. Lindsay thought they looked too good to be real and remarked on the fact when Snape returned to her, apples in hand.

"They've been magically ripened. It can only be done in small batches and takes great skill; otherwise the trees can be damaged." He took an apple out of the bag and offered it too Lindsay.

"No, thank you. I thought maybe we could stop at Florean Fortescue's."

"As you wish." Snape rubbed the apple on his sleeve before biting into it. They chose an outdoor table and Fortescue was out to take their order before Lindsay had even sat down.

"Afternoon, Lindsay," said Fortescue. "What's your pleasure?"

"Hello, Florean, good to see you again. I'd like whatever Albus ordered for us the last time. It was divine."

"And you my good fellow?" said Fortescue to Snape.

"Nothing for me." Fortescue disappeared with speed into his shop and Lindsay settled down next to Snape. They were both facing the street and watching passersby. "Albus brought you here?"

"Yes, we have an understanding. I buy tickets to a music event and Albus escorts me to it. Then he takes me out for ice cream the next day. We have such fun picking out clothes."

"Courting the Headmaster is a waste of your time," said Snape with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

"Very funny, Professor; I'm aware of Albus' preference, which doesn't matter in the least to me. We have fun together because we enjoy many of the same things. We both love people, and gossip, and shopping, and food, and trying new things."