Part 37

"I don't understand why you're leaving," said Neville. A small group had collected around Lindsay's fireplace. All of her things were packed and stacked on the coffee table.

"We all know Umbridge hates me, and it's only a matter of time before she evicts me from the castle."

"She hasn't the authority," said Hermione.

"Not yet," replied Lindsay.

"You're not coming back, are you?" said Ginny.

"No, I really don't belong here. We all know that."

"You shouldn't let Umbridge get to you," said Fred.

"It's for the best," said Lindsay.

"No, it's not," said George.

"It's nearly Christmas anyway, and I always have plans for the holidays. Stop looking so forlorn. You're all making me feel bad. Would hugs be too much to ask?" George held out until last, and had just released his embrace when Professor Snape walked in unannounced.

"All of you go back to your common room," said Snape without actually looking at any of the students. He caught Lindsay's eye and pointed to the pile of bags and cases on the coffee table. "Is that everything?"

"Yes, Professor."

Snape shrunk Lindsay's belongings and put them in his pocket. He moved to the fireplace, threw a handful of floo powder in, and stepped into the resulting green flames and disappeared.

"I hope you'll all keep in touch and visit. You know how much I love having house guests. I have to go; can't keep the Professor waiting." Lindsay turned and disappeared into the emerald flames. Just as soon as she was gone, the fireplace began to shrink and disappear. The furniture did the same. Then the walls began to close in.

"The room's closing," said George morosely and everyone began to file out, except for Neville.

"They do seem to be getting chummy," said Hermione as she exited the shrinking room.

"Give it a rest, Granger," said Fred.

"I merely stated my observation," replied Hermione snottily.

Ginny tugged his hand. "Time to go, Neville."

###

Lindsay emerged in her dining room patting dust off of her clothes. "Where do you want your things?" said Snape.

"Just leave them on the table please. I'll put everything away in a bit." Snape did as requested. He drew his wand and walked to the doorway murmuring under his breath.

"What are you doing, Professor?"

"Warding your house."

"Against what?"

Snape dropped his wand and whirled around. "Surely you can't be that stupid?"

"I certainly hope not," replied Lindsay. "But I can't imagine why any Death Eaters would storm my home when they know I belong to one of their fellows."

"Don't think that associating with me affords you any safety. The Dark Lord is capricious."

"Alright, Professor, do as you see fit." Lindsay set about unpacking and later left for a quick trip to the grocery store. The house was silent and undisturbed when she returned. She put her groceries away and went downstairs to check one of the rooms that always filled with water when it rained. She reached the bottom of the steps and a black-clad figure stepped in front of her. "Oh! Professor, you scared the bejesus out of me!"