Part 57

or the one where we begin the revolution  

    Kara rode at Lena's side, both of them sporting new armor, though the young queen's was more form than function. Lena gleamed in polished steel epaulets, a leather chest bracer, fitted at Maggie's insistence to show her curves, and a mail skirt over a protective soft cloth. M'gann had made the designs herself with Maggie and Alex's insistence as a surprise gift.

Kara's new armor had taken more work. Fully functional, made with the best material available. Beneath it, she wore a thin white silk shirt, over that the leather breastplate Alex had made for her now featuring a prominent imprinted Zor-El crest. After much discussion with Winn, Lena, and Alex, Kara had decided that there was no time like the present for her coming out party. She had drawn some looks, but no one had dared say a word to her face about the symbol.

Her red cape flowed out behind her as they rode, blonde hair in a braid intertwined with the spikes gifted to her by Lena. She had new greaves, her own more flexible epaulets, and forearm guards. Kara felt ready for anything. She ran her fingers over a freshly cleaned and sharpened gladius, still the same one Lena had given her with one addition. Now the sword sported a jade colored hair ribbon Kara relieved off of her girlfriend. Lena had yet to notice, but a few of her closest friends had. They knew not to comment on the sentimental addition.

All Lena knew was Kara looked hot, figuratively and literally. Though Kara's armor was lighter than most, it was still steel plating and heavy leather. She knew the ensemble had to be weighing her down and getting more than a little warm. Though there was no sign of discomfort on her face beside a slight sheen of sweat, she made no complaint. Lena and Alex double-teamed her on water consumption.

It was a long ride as they made their way back to the Luthor capitol and they did not often stop for breaks. Horses needed water and rest as well, and they were much more amenable than Kara herself. Lena was not pleased, though Kara's stubbornness could be sweet, it was not allowable when detrimental to her health. Alex agreed. When Lena would glance to her as they rode, she noticed that not once did Kara's posture appear anything less than perfect. She did not understand how Kara could be anything less than exhausted.

"If I am remembering this correctly, we ought to be at the campsite James, Winn, and I used within the hour." Kara announced to their little lead group. Alex had thought the image of them all in the lead would be good for morale and Kara had been inclined to agree. Lena admitted they probably did make a good picture, though pictures did not tell of the heat, aching muscles and exhaustion.

Kara's voice was authoritative, firm, and commanding. Lena's eyebrows shot up. This was not a tone she was used to but she decided automatically she liked it. Kara seemed confident and in control. This was her element and she no longer seemed to be playing the role of general. Kara was fully in command.

"We have arrived." Kara announced and stiffly swung herself down from her horse, boots hitting the dirt heavily with a swish of her cape before heading over to Lena's steed and almost wholly lifting the other woman down. "The tunnel should be someplace over there" Kara announced to her friends with a gesture.

"I want guards posted around that tunnel's hatch at all times. Set up in shifts. I want a perimeter of sentries at all times. Coordinate with Alex, she is much better with the organization thing than I am." Kara laughed.

"I will assist with camp set up. James is already working on your tent up because he knew you would protest if he asked your permission. Your canteen is full?" Winn asked as Lena kissed Kara's cheek and left to find Maggie.

"You are not going to let me work at all, are you?" Kara asks affectionately. "How much of this is your doing?"

"I would never admit it." Winn replied with a sly grin. "You are my best friend. You do not seem particularly inclined to tend yourself so I am picking up the slack."

"You are a good man, Winn Schott. Be sure to take care of yourself as well." Kara smiled softly, her heart touched. He grinned back and allowed her to hug him, one of her hands playing with his hair as she released him. She put her hand out and they clasped forearms tightly for a long moment. Her eyes traced out his features just in case it was one of her last memories of Winn Schott Jr. "You are my best friend as well and I am honored to have you at my side."

As Kara stepped away to go about her duties, he smiled sadly after her, because Winn was confident she would find more than enough work for herself despite his efforts.