Part 23

Or the one where Lex shows his true colors  

"Uhm, am I supposed to take off my shirt as well?" Kara asked J'onn, looking mildly uncomfortable but not willing to wholly reject the idea.

"I would not think so. I want you to know if I could find a way to get you out of this, I would. If I could take your place, I would. However, I have the utmost confidence in your ability to find a way out of this...my lady." He murmured kindly, his eyes steady on hers and full of meaning. Kara started at the way he spoke to her as though she were royalty. "Whether you win this bout or lose Kara, he will be the winner either way."

Kara nodded seriously in reply, observing everything Lex Luthor did. While it may have seemed she was merely nervous or intimidated by the imminent fight, she was actually doing her best to quickly analyze the way he moved. Kara rotated her shoulders in an attempt to loosen herself up. She had never thought to take any particular note of the way the king moved before. The best way to win was to know your opponent, besides the work she put in on her own time, her training and her experience. Kara had studied the vast majority of her opponents as they trained before ever hitting the sand with them.

Kara's eyes locked with Lena's from across the yard as the other woman radiated concern. She nodded, doing her best to convey confidence as she did so. Kara felt almost calm about the fight but wondered about the possible political ramifications. She knew there was no way this would end well for her. Clearly, she had been set up.

Politics were more in Lena's wheelhouse and the princess had promised her protection and Kara trusted her to do what she could on her behalf.

"My king, are you ready?" J'onn asked his nephew, whose face was set like stone in preparation for the fight. Kara could see only the slightest amount of anxiety behind his eyes.

Lex nodded and accepted the dulled practice blade one of the attendants offered him. The king clearly thought he was capable of winning or that Kara would throw the fight on his behalf. She knew him to be wrong on all counts. Kara knew as well that this would not end well for her, she knew her life and her place at court were in dire danger.

If she kicked his ass the way she knew she could, it could easily be considered treason and if she let him win her place as Lena's guard would be in danger and she could not allow that. Kara was going to stay where the princess was no matter how anyone attempted to fight her off, politically or physically. Lex whipped the blade through the air in front of him a few times and Kara rolled her eyes in exasperation. It seemed he would do most of her work for her.

"I'm ready whenever he is." Kara said with a slight shrug. She feigned impenetrable confidence with ease, feeling as though if Lex were to continue acting like he had this in the bag she would win this easily.

"I believe in you, kid." J'onn said softly, patting her on the back before he crossed the grass to say a few words to his nephew. His confidence in her made her feel as though she could do anything.

Kara closed her eyes for a moment, willing her heart rate to calm and her thoughts to stop racing. Despite her attempts to close out the rest of the world, Kara could feel all of the eyes on her. It was one of the worst parts of her time as a gladiator. She despised the feeling of them all watching her and waiting on the edge of their seats for her to get hurt or worse. These crowds gathered for blood like vultures and were never satisfied until they saw it flowing into the sand. The only exception Kara was certain of was Lena and maybe J'onn.

Kara removed her sheath and gestured for Winn to come over and assist in retying her greaves. "Tell the princess not to watch, especially if things begin to head south for me." Her voice was serious as she stared straight into his eyes. Winn was more than a little threatened by her. He pulled the laces tight and nodded.

"Yes, ma'am. I know you will come out of this right as rain. Not to sound treasonous but my bets will all be on you." his grin encouraged her much more than she had thought it would.

"Thank you, Winn. Keep an eye on the princess for me, please." Kara clapped him on the back and sent him on his way. She rotated the now familiar practice sword in her hand around and around, looking for the sweet spot before finding her place in the center of the field, her back to Lena. Kara didn't know if she would be able to do this while seeing the concern and fear in Lena's eyes.

"You may just be a stupid piece of muscle I bought, but even you should have known better than to throw a weapon at me." Lex said darkly as he came to face her.

"You, sir, should really stop underestimating the women in your life. I may be spying for you, but your sister would obviously be ten times the monarch you are, even I know this. At least she gives a shit." Kara scoffed, refusing to let his digs get to her. His taunts were a childish attempt to get into her head and the former gladiator was much too experienced to fall for those kinds of tricks.

"Kara Danvers, you know what I have on you. You would be wise to let this end the way it was always meant to end." Lex hissed under his breath before coming at her with a wild attack towards her midriff.

Kara jumped back and to the side, easily deflecting his blade.

"I have done all you have asked of me since you brought me into this life I did not ask for and you have done nothing but attack me since. I no longer believe my sister is in your custody, and thus I have nothing to lose." Kara spoke evenly as their blades crossed and she planted a solid kick in his chest to emphasize her point. "Now, back the fuck up off of me and the princess before you find yourself seriously hurting." Kara backhanded him with her hilt and he fell. She thrust her blade point down into the dirt beside of the king's head, turned and walked away.