Part 27

A/N: comments? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

   -----////-----

 the one where we learn a little more about Winn and our friends attempt an escape or the one where I am Winn and Winn is me

-----/////-----

"Do you know where it is we are supposed to be heading?" Kara asked the others.

"There is a small town to the north of the capital, just outside the wall. We send a lot of the people we help out there. The innkeeper is sympathetic to our cause. J'onn spoke to her and she will take us in until we figure out next steps." Lena answered her as they crept through the tunnels.

Kara was in the lead, one hand flat on the right wall to keep track of turns and their position. It was dark enough she could not see any more than two feet ahead of them at any given point. She was uncomfortable leading without all of the facts but felt as though she did not have much of a choice. It was unfamiliar territory when she had only just begun adjusting to life in the palace. Her job was getting nothing but harder.

Lena was trying hard to be okay with everything that was happening. It had been a very long time since she had been allowed to leave the palace. At this point, the mere idea was terrifying. She trusted Kara beyond a shadow of a doubt to get her through whatever may come next. However, her friend and her guard had been through a lot that day and Lena knew she had to be exhausted. She resolved to keep a close eye on Kara until they reached someplace they could rest safely.

Kara kept an eye behind her. Winn had the tail end of their little train. She did not quite trust him to fight and die for Lena yet. At least not in the way she would be willing to. She was so tired, she knew she needed him, but she did not quite understand him, yet.

"Do we need to set up camp and rest for a while?" Winn asked, seeing how Kara shifted the nearly over-packed bag from shoulder to shoulder, but never showed how uncomfortable she was. Kara had clearly long ago learned how to disguise her pain.

"I am perfectly fine. I could go all night like this." Kara grumbled, though her exhaustion was plain in her voice.

"Well, maybe I could not." Lena lied smoothly. "I am not exactly in the same fighting shape you are in."

"As long as it is you doing the asking." Kara agreed finally. "Half an hour at the most, just up around the next bend. I want the high ground if we are being followed."

"Sounds like a plan." Winn agreed a smile in his voice. He had started the ball rolling and Lena had known just what to do to seal the deal. Kara would never have allowed herself to stop moving because of her own exhaustion, but if she thought Lena was even slightly uncomfortable, she was willing to drop everything for the princess.

Winn was impressed, infatuated and intimidated. He had been working with Kara Danvers for around a month and had quickly realized 'quit' was not in her vocabulary. Winn respected her for it. She was strong and held a deep sense of justice. Despite the violence and unfairness in her life thus far, Kara had held on to her kindness and gentility. He was amazed by her.

Kara seemed fine. She dropped the bag with some degree of relief. Her shoulders were on fire, but it was the good 'hard work' kind of pain, and not the recently stabbed kind, so she was okay enduring. Kara looked over at Lena and smiled softly. Kara felt as though everything would be alright so long as she was with Lena, and she was successfully keeping her princess safe.

-----/////-----

Winn had offered to take watch while Kara and Lena took a quick nap. Kara was leaning against a wall, her head tilted back and mouth hanging open, Lena was stretched out on a blanket, her head in Kara's lap, under one of the blonde's arms protectively slung across her middle.

Winn had never met two women more dedicated to one another. It was plain to see Kara felt as though she owed the princess and would do almost anything for her. He could not quite put his finger on how Lena was feeling lately but she seemed to adore Kara. Winn could understand why quite easily. It would have been harder to not see how amazing the former gladiator was. He had decided a while back not to insert himself into their relationship though; they would figure out where they were inevitably heading on their own terms.

Winn knew the girls would be focused on keeping an eye out for one another. While they did that, he would watch their backs. If his family were to ever find out he had turned against the crown like this, they would disown him for sure. But what he had seen working for Lord J'onn and amongst the people had proven to him the kingdom needed new leadership. He believed Lord J'onn when he said it should be Lena. If all went as they hoped, their group could change the tides for two countries and would make life better for thousands of people.

The thumping boots overhead told him the king's men still searched fruitlessly for them and he almost laughed at how well things had gone. He had enjoyed the look Lex Luthor's face too much when Kara had kicked him into the dirt. He hoped against hope he might get an opportunity to do the same thing one day. Winn had daydreamed more than once about punching his king in the nose. That would be one of the most satisfying experiences on earth.