Part 7

or the one where Kara and Lena talk for the first time. they're both internally fangirling a little so you have to give them a break. plus, Kara's scared and intimated and really really confused.  

"I watched your bout today. You fought well." Lena complimented haltingly as the three women stepped into her quarters.

Kara stood at attention by the door like just about every soldier Lena had ever seen. She really hoped the other woman was not going to turn out to be totally dull. Lena needed more people to talk to. The only person she could converse with while truly being herself was Maggie. Lena Luthor led a particular kind of lonely life.

"Maggie, uhm, would you be able to get the adjoining room off my chambers unlocked if at all possible?" Lena asked. "Pretty please and cross my heart?"

"As you wish, my lady." Maggie said with a very coquette-ish look. She curtsied in her most sarcastically formal manner.

"You are not like any other princesses, are you?" Kara asked softly with a deep sense of confusion echoing in her voice.

"I am less of a spoiled brat and more of an actual human if that is what you mean." Lena said in a casual tone. "As long as it is just the two of us or Maggie is in here, you can relax a bit. We are not half as stiff or stuffy as my brother."

"Is...is this a test of some sort?" Kara looked confused and scared then. "I was not aware of any tests."

"No Kara. It is nothing like that. You said it yourself, I am not like other princesses." Lena stood and padded over to Kara and took her hands. "You are safe with me. I make no promises in regards to my brother, the king, but as long as you are in your own chambers or mine you may speak freely and do as you like."

"As you say, my lady." Kara said with a half-bow. She seemed quite skeptical, but then again Lena really could not blame her.

However, Lena did not pity her. Kara was too strong for any pity Lena had to offer, it would be disrespectful of her bravery and many triumphs. She had nothing but the utmost respect for the blonde gladiator.

"You will come to believe me, of this truth I have no doubt." Lena said with a shrug as Maggie opened the door that adjoined Lena's room to Kara's. It seemed almost wrong to have someone who was not Sam in the room, but she felt as though it were a change Sam would approve of if she knew.

"It was very stiff from disuse, but it will serve its purpose." the small Latina woman said. "I have requested some of the other staff to assist me in preparing the room for you, Ms.Kara. Would you like to see it now? If there is anything else you may require, my lady will requisition it for you."

Kara followed Maggie curiously, poking her head into the other room before fully following them into the room. She looked twice at Lena to be sure it was okay. The princess gestured for her to go on before returning her attention to the book she had neglected. It was very hard to focus on reading an old Gaelic text when her own personal guardswoman was next door and in all likelihood a trap. Lena felt oddly bolstered, having Kara Danvers one wall over and the adjoining room full again. She felt as though she could handle anything.